Lehr 2.5hp vs 5hp

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone seen these two side by side? I have a trivial question that I can't get a answer to because no place local stocks them. Can someone tell me if the width (Throttle tiller handle to gear shifter) is the same for the 2.5hp and 5hp? Might seem like a silly question but the 2.5hp fits (width wise) in my transom storage laying down and I have plenty of length and height and would like the power of 5hp.

I would be surprised if someone owned both of these but if someone has at least saw them together and could comment ballpark that would be great!

Thanks!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lehr 2.5hp vs 5hp

Has anyone seen these two side by side? I have a trivial question that I can't get a answer to because no place local stocks them. Can someone tell me if the width (Throttle tiller handle to gear shifter) is the same for the 2.5hp and 5hp? Might seem like a silly question but the 2.5hp fits (width wise) in my transom storage laying down and I have plenty of length and height and would like the power of 5hp.

I would be surprised if someone owned both of these but if someone has at least saw them together and could comment ballpark that would be great!

Thanks!

Howdy,

I can't remember exactly but I thought the one at West Marine in Fife was a 2.5. If not, I'll bet they can get one.

Let me also add that I wouldn't trade my Tohatsu for 3 of them!!

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Howdy,

I can't remember exactly but I thought the one at West Marine in Fife was a 2.5. If not, I'll bet they can get one.

Let me also add that I wouldn't trade my Tohatsu for 3 of them!!

You were correct actually WestMarine did have them in stock. I wanted to give a update since I have now had both engines. The 5hp is a better build quality by a reasonable margin from cowling to tiller. As for mechanical I could not comment but overall the 5hp is a better "build" for those out there comparing.

I have 14 days to return I don't want gas but I will go look at the Tohatsus as I have heard nothing but positive things.

jkru

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You were correct actually WestMarine did have them in stock. I wanted to give a update since I have now had both engines. The 5hp is a better build quality by a reasonable margin from cowling to tiller. As for mechanical I could not comment but overall the 5hp is a better "build" for those out there comparing.

I have 14 days to return I don't want gas but I will go look at the Tohatsus as I have heard nothing but positive things.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I took back the 2.5hp and got the 5hp unfortunately it would not fit in my transom and ended up with a torqeedo at the end of the day. What I can say about the two lehr models trying them both. The bottom line is the 5hp model is of much higher quality than the 2.5hp. I did love the 2.5hp but I would be concerned with the quality. For example the seams do not fit nicely on the cowl, the hinges are cheap and don't latch (this is the newer rev. still a problem) and the overall quality of the metal feels a little cheap. On the other hand the 5hp did not feel this way and was very similar in build to a yamaha. If you buying one of these skip the 2.5 for the 5hp unfortunately it did not fit for me.