Left Muffs on my 19 regal

structural1

Seaman Apprentice
So after 3 months of tinkering after purchase (electronic ignition upgrade, plus, new temp sender and gauge,plug wires, new coil, new impeller, set timing, clean up, etc). She has closed cooling system so I also cleaned out the heat exchanger. I finally set her in the water this morning at the local lake. I was planning on a 20-30 minutes test run just to watch the temp and do a general check out ride. I sat at the dock and ran her for about 15 minutes while I checking timing and temp and generall looked her over. Took off and ran about 3300 rpm for about 20 minutes across lake and temp stayed steady at about 165. I was really happy with the tem staying there as a lot of owners with 470's have cooling issues.

Got back to dock and got her on the trailer only to notice the damn muffs were on from the last time I ran it on the house at the house. :-(......... They weren't covering all of the inlet holes.

She ran fine and had to be circulating enough water to keep her cool at 165 degrees. Now can't wait to go back this weekend and run her WITHOUT muffs and see what her temp does.... I still can't believe I did that.

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Left Muffs on my 19 regal

Wow, I can't believe that they stayed on! Are they the kind that has a bolt that goes through the inlets on both sides?

oldjeep

Admiral

How do you leave the muffs on the boat? You actually detach the hose from them with them still on the boat?

dwco5051

Commander

Mine have a barbed fitting on the hose end that press fits into the rubber cup. This will pull out and leave the muffs on the boat and the fitting behind. I won't explain how I know this happens ! !

structural1

Seaman Apprentice

Muffs are the attwood cheapo type that slide on and stay on with the tension from the metal bar that wraps around the front of the drive. I would have thought the temp would have skyrocketed but it didn't. I guess enough water came through the few holes that were exposed and the hole where the hose normally connects.

The jacked up thing is that I have been boating since childhood... never did anything like this before. But I guess everyone does stupid things eventually.

nwcove

Admiral

could have been worse! you might have arrived at the ramp dragging 50' of garden hose , with a spigot still attached, only to return home to a flooded basement because you ripped the plumbing out. lol

structural1

Seaman Apprentice

Could have been much worse. 2 weeks ago I saw a 21' Chris Craft Scorpion roll off a trailer as it was being hauled out. Owner claimed his winch strap broke and he didn't have a safety chain. I think he forgot to hook the the strap on before he hauled it out. Damn boat rolled off the trailer (trailer had a real nice set of rollers on it) and ended up with about front 7' on the trailer and the outdrive and prop jammed into the asphalt ramp. I just smilled walked away.