Leaving Tampa, Osprey, Fort Myers ? ?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We noticed this afternoon that we have one roof shingle which folded over during Ian and is partially broken.

A neighbor gave us a few shingles from his recent roof job, so we went out and bought some sealant and roof nails.

We watched a YouTube video on how to replace a shingle. The boy (and my wife?) will go up to the roof tomorrow to effect repairs. (I'm not allowed on the roof. :rolleyes: )

I'm not sure if we should just glue the folded shingle back into place or go ahead and attempt a full repair.

alldodge

Staff member
Would need to see the broken one, but fixing one is pretty easy. Remove broken/torn and remove nails without breaking shingles above it. Install new and so long as its covered about 6 inches each side your good

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If it's just folded over, a tube of roof caulk and fold it back and glue it down

Or replace as AD posted

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
This is the video we watched. Seems like a pretty straightforward job. I just wish that I could get up there and do it myself. The boy tends to be too rough at times. Teenagers. 😒

FLATHEAD

Commander
Don’t glue the old one back down. Follow what the video says and you’ll be good to go. Don’t go up and try it when it’s hot you’ll end up tearing the shingles because the tar strips on the shingles will be holding tight, and you can do more damage. Do it early in the morning when the roof is cool .you’ll be able to pop them up fairly easily. Take your time and don’t force anything.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Don’t glue the old one back down. Follow what the video says and you’ll be good to go. Don’t go up and try it when it’s hot you’ll end up tearing the shingles because the tar strips on the shingles will be holding tight, and you can do more damage. Do it early in the morning when the roof is cool .you’ll be able to pop them up fairly easily. Take your time and don’t force anything.
Thanks, I'll pass that info on to the boy.

alldodge

Staff member
Wife's Aunt checked in (Englewood), tree fell on house so it will be a long time. Ins paying for hotel room, house needs to be gutted. Everyone is ok so life goes on