Leaving Tampa, Osprey, Fort Myers ? ?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Have an ex in Fort Myers, and a friend in Osprey.
They are both leaving and heading east Tuesday afternoon. The ex is heading to Vero Beach to stay with her sister.

Anyone else pulling out?

Scott? Where are you taking the boats?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
We live well north of Tampa and got started with our storm preps this morning.

We'd planned on evacuating, but by 1130 or so, the track changed and we eased off quite a bit. Now planning on sticking around since the storm isn't headed right for us.

The boy went out to the garage and moved stuff around so that we could get the KF inside.
1.jpg
2.jpg

My wife cleaned some 30 gallon trash cans and filled them with general purpose water in case we have power outages. Drinking water (and other beverages) are in the house.3.jpg

Then the storm changed direction and with the new impact location, we'll likely only get a tropical storm some 80 miles away, so our winds should be pretty mild.
4.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
@BWR1953 somehow I missed you were in that area all this time. I love hearing the experienced Floridians: "it's just a 3 and it's veering off a little north of us ..." o_O

I'd be shaking in my boots.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
@BWR1953 somehow I missed you were in that area all this time. I love hearing the experienced Floridians: "it's just a 3 and it's veering off a little north of us ..." o_O

I'd be shaking in my boots.
Yep, it's been a stressful few days, but Ian changed direction late this morning and now looks like it'll hit over 100 miles south of us. That really lifted a weight off our shoulders.

Back in 2004, I got caught in hurricane Charley and that was a mess. I was living in the Tampa metroplex at the time and that storm was forecast to hit the pier in my neighborhood. So we evacuated to Kissimmee and Charley made the hard right turn and went straight for us! My daughter and I were in a big motel in Kissimmee. When Charley started changing direction towards us, I contacted the local sheriff to see if it was safe for us to head back to Tampa. His reply that it was safe, but that the Highway Patrol had closed the roads and we couldn't get back! The storm went right over top of us; ripped the roof off the other side of the hotel and knocked down trees, power lines and other stuff all around. We rode it out and luckily we were able to go back home the next day. Back in Tampa it was just a cloudy day. Then followed Jean and Frances. Ugh. Bad year. :rolleyes:

In 2017 when Irma came through, with my wife and the boy, we had plenty of warning. We did our preps, including taking down a suspect tree, then went to a local hotel and rode it out, going home the next day. We had one tree down but that was it. We never even lost power.

This storm, like every storm, is different. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Have an ex in Fort Myers, and a friend in Osprey.
They are both leaving and heading east Tuesday afternoon. The ex is heading to Vero Beach to stay with her sister.

Anyone else pulling out?

Scott? Where are you taking the boats?
Im in Zone D. the boats are all tied up along the house and to each other including the RV.

will be hunkered down.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Mother-in-law is in a mandatory evac zone, however she has full hurricane panels. so we are headed there to button up the remainder of her house and bring her here.

alldodge

Staff member
Wife's Aunt is leaving (south of Tampa) toward Wife's Brother (Salt Springs)

FLATHEAD

Commander
Good friend just built a new house in Sarasota. Talked to him yesterday, I think he bugged out this morning.
Thoughts with the Floridians

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Mom's in Venice on the water, just found out she has no flood insurance šŸ˜„

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The 11PM advisory shows a big track change to the south & east. Our area is out of the cone now. Whew! šŸ¤Ŗ

5.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wind forecast was about the same . Storm was gunna go to the west of us in J-ville now itā€™s headed out in the Atlantic making a loop around us .. Storm surge increased a bit with the pattern shift .

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Family compound on Snead good news that it is moving south east, feel kinda bad about that because somebody else will take the pounding. Only thing in that house I care about are the pictures.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Family compound on Snead good news that it is moving south east, feel kinda bad about that because somebody else will take the pounding.
The Cantius 48 hanging on the travel lift at Snead Island boat works is my buddy's boat. Drive went out last week. The red paint down the side is from the new Tow Boat US captain that ran into it

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The Cantius 48 hanging on the travel lift at Snead Island boat works is my buddy's boat. Drive went out last week. The red paint down the side is from the new Tow Boat US captain that ran into it

I love to drive down to see that part of the island have never been past the gates of the boat works but it just looks like a place that has a long history in the boating world.