Leaking fuel connection & smoke in tank '54

DallasJeff

Seaman
Recently bought my first boat and '54 Johnson Sea Horse. Today was the first time I've got it out on the lake and unfortunately there was a large fuel leak.

I squeezed the bulb to prime the lines and I noticed air hissing out near the gas line connection to the motor. The tank pressurized and the motor started and ran fine. But there was quite a bit of fuel leaking out from the connection. I shut it down pretty quickly and vented the gas tank to stop the fuel from spilling out. Then I opened the gas tank and could see a smoky haze in the head space above the fuel.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the o-ring on the fuel line connection. Hopefully I can find another one the same size at the hardware store but the o-ring is very fat and probably uncommon.

What about the smoky haze in the gas tank? Is that normal or indicate some other problem? I've heard these old pressurized gas tanks can be dangerous but my buddy says thats hogwash. Still I'm concerned about the smoky exhaust in the fuel tank.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Leaking fuel connection & smoke in tank '54

Buy the proper O rings to stop the leak(s). Part # 301824 at an OMC dealer. Up here they're $2 each. Anything else and you probably wont fix your leak.

Yep, the smoky haze pumps in there from the engine. That's the way the pressure tanks work.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What do you mean "squeezed the bulb"? Pressure tanks don't have bulbs. They have primer buttons on the tank top. Sounds like you have a cobbled up affair. Pressure tank "danger" is hogwash. But cobbled up anything can be dangerous.

Yes, the o-rings are special size and only available through a dealer. Others attempt to make something work, but....

Hopefully the haze is vaporized fuel and not truly smoke. Normal.

DallasJeff

Seaman

This is how it was when I bought it, except it wasn't leaking noticeably then. I'll look for an OMC dealer nearby for the proper o-ring.

Heres a couple of pictures:

P1010581_resize.jpg

P1010582_resize.jpg

P1010588_resize.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

OMG, what kind of an abortion of a tank is that? That is not the original tank or even close. It is not a pressure tank at all. I would be VERY concerned of using that tank as a pressure tank as it is not designed as such. And I'm one that usually throws caution to the wind.

I would look for a proper pressure tank on ebay or aomci.org or somewhere and not use that one.

p.s. nice looking engine though!

p.p.s. I would never take my kids out with a tank like that!

p.p.p.s. check out this link for what the proper pressure tank should look like: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=245788

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is that plastic???!!!??? Horrors!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's an explosion looking for a place to happen, not a tank!

DallasJeff

Seaman

Maybe I should go the route of converting to a fuel pump and use the single-line instead. I looked at tanks dual line tanks on ebay and they go about $75-120.

I found this post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=205628 that tells how to do it and approximate cost. What do yall think?

DallasJeff

Seaman

OK, I found my solution. A 6 gallon OMC pressure tank with lines on craigslist for $20. What Luck.

Thanks everyone for your help and insight.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow, that's cheap. Grab it. I usually sell my extra's for $75. The connector on the end of the hose is the valuable part. Over $100 new.

jbjennings

Captain

Wow what a tank!!! But what a nice motor!!! From the looks of the exterior of that engine it was well taken care of, as long as one doesn't see that "tank" with it.:) You got a steal on the craiglist tank and you can still buy the parts to rebuild it if it doesn't work for a bout 25 dollars which will probably be cheaper than the conversion. I personally like my pressure tanks and find them very reliable. I'm really jealous of your motor--probably one of the sharpest 10's to me. Your boat looks really nice too, from the back.
You have excellent taste!
You're gonna like that old OMC,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Rebuilt pressure Tank = Good
Old Pressure Tank = So-so
Homemade Plastic Pressure Tank = Bomb