1981 Evinrude 140... Complete Rebuild

brettagostini

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello.

If you have an excellent memory you may remember that I was tearing apart an long-disused 1981 Ev. 140. I've been stalled for a couple of months because it took me that long to find a welder and then a machinist to fix the craced part of the cylinder. Well, I've finally gotten the block back, and now I am back with more ridiculous questions.

Please bear in mind I have NO mechanical experience and NO live bodies to talk to for advice.

Well, my first questions are below. Thanks for any help you can give me.

First, I know I need rings, both for the pistons and for the crankshaft. Should I just replace ALL rings automatically? There are two or three that are broken, but I don't know if I replace one, should I replace all?

A follow up question... I've found the rings at this link:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/14542.cfm

Items number 9 and 20. The crankshaft ring lists at $9.95. But the piston ring set lists at $34.95!?!? Is that for one set, or all four?? (I'm hoping all four!!) And how do I determine which of the Part 20's listed is correct for me.

Next question.... I'm ordering the manual at this link to help me with re-assembly. I'm sure it will answer many many questions for me. I just want to verify that this is the correct manual, in your opinions. (My Model # is E140TRLCIM)

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/p...=Service+Manual&Engine=392306&Model=140TRLCIM

Last Question... Thingamajigs and whatchamacallits... Things like rectifiers, ignition coils, power packs, etc... How do I tell if these things are still in proper working order? I'd love to be able to check them and replace them if necessary before reassembly. (Will procedures for checking these out be in the manual I'm ordering??)

I've got another set of questions about honing and re-installing pistons... but I think that needs to wait for another time.

Thanks folks. Apologies in advance for my extreme cluelessness.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1981 Evinrude 140... Complete Rebuild

You should be able to replace the crank seal rings individually. They are not really a wear item. Replace only the broken ones. The piston rings are usually sold as a set for one piston. You will need 4 sets-all need to be replaced on an overhaul. Did you overbore the cylinders, or are you going with stock? If you want an original (OEM) manual, they are available from Ken Cook co., in Milwaukee. Give them your model #, and they will send you one. Once you get the engine back together, you can test for proper spark. The ignition system needs to be tested as a complete system, when cranking. If you are getting an original manual, it will be useful for diagnosing ignition problems. It is also useful to sync and link the carbs/spark advance.

brettagostini

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1981 Evinrude 140... Complete Rebuild

I have not re-bored or overbored the cylinders. They look like they are in good shape, so I thought I would try getting away with just honing them myself. Also, while I haven't put a micrometer on the pistons, they don't look as if they need to be replace. Someone (don't remember who) told me that if there is no visible mis-shaping or wear than its worth a try just replacing the rings.

Regarding the rings... is that link correct about pricing? $34 for just a set of 2??? I was hoping that it was $34 for 4 sets of 2.

The second link is to OEM manuals from MarineEngine.com. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I need. But since its sixty bucks I was looking for a second opinion before I clicked "submit order."