leaking bow hatch window

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bowan hatch window ,
Last season I removed entire bowan hatch , ( top portion ) too fix leak
cleaned frame , gasket good , no cracks , not brittle
Re- Installed gasket , placed glass over on gasket ,
Only thing holding glass inplace is a a bead of silicone along the border of glass and aluminum frame ,
Leak not as bad but on heavy rains water enters getting bedding wet

Yesterday removed the hatch again ,
Removed black silicone ,
Should there be a spleen between glass and aluminum frame ,?
Only thing holding glass too aluminum frame is silicone
Am I missing something , ? Something I can get at Ace ? Glass compound , instead of silicone , a putty I can push in , then a bead of something over making it water tight

I also have one leak in fixed stainless portwhole windows , I put a bead of silicone , not much help there either ,

thanks as usual

al

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most frames leak from the bedding on the hull. when you pulled the hatch off, how did you re-bed it to the hull?

no, there is no spline between the glass and frame, only the adhesive/sealant that you mention. normally that is sikaflex or 3M window bedding urethane and not silicone. however silicone works to redo it.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Morning Scott , thanks for the prompt response ,
will hit Ace and try the items U mentioned , Will check out bedding , beleive its coming from glass but anything is possible , ,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what did you use to re-bed the hatch?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah it could be the glass, or the gasket, or where its bedded to the deck. Unless you remove and seal all of it, its going to leak.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys little follow up and another question
purchased 3m marine grade silicone sealant , clear
bonds fiberglass-glass-rubber-wood-vinyl
Almost sure its not coming from frame attached too hull , I see water coming in from glass .
Yesterday I cleaned aluminum frame of old black sealant ,
BOWMAN HATCH
Frame , gasket , window ( new gasket )
Gasket with slit held in place by sliding gasket on too frame
little sealtant on aluminum frame too hold gasket in place
QUESTION
Do I put a bead of sealant on gasket , place glass , tape and run a bead of sealant beteen glass & frame , SECURE too cure ,
Window held in place with sealant , if I dont use sealtant on gasket window will only be held inplace by a thin bead between window and frame ,
I see on utube others that dont use gasket run a thick bed of silicone , place glass, tape and run a bead of sealtnat between glass & frame ,
Gasket raises window quite a bit , otherwise on Bowman water will not run off ,

thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. I spent ages trying to seal a leak on this. Kept leaking after sealant and all sorts. Amazingly what ended up resolving the issue was putting Vaseline petroleum jelly on the rubber seal. Never leaked since.