Leak from water distribution housing

new_2_boats

Recruit
I have a leak from my water distribution housing. Does anybody know what's going on here? See video.

Attachments

• PXL_20230525_185942077.TS.mp4
    25.5 MB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
No video, but I suspect the housing either crackesor the crack is at the blue drain plug.Cheaper to replace it with some copper fittings
Let me look for the pic

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

What you have is called the "Quick-Crack" system Suggest removing that system and revert back to a standard drain system

alldodge

Staff member
Agree use BT's copper fittings and it won't happen again

Fella at my dock replaced the thing twice before he started just leaving the drain out of it during winter. Appears the system never fully drains and if plug is reinstalled more water leaks into it later and cracks it

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Yup, I’ve replaced a few of these. Always because of bad winterizing. If you can’t do it properly it’s probably best to remove the system.
Also a bad system in saltwater, really want closed cooling in salt.

new_2_boats

Recruit
Do you know if I can purchase these copper fittings from someone preassembled? Can I do this repair in the water?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Don’t know about a premade kit. But it can be done in the water once you break the vacuum by removing the blue plug on the thermostat housing.

new_2_boats

Recruit

What you have is called the "Quick-Crack" system Suggest removing that system and revert back to a standard drain system
Could you tell me what size/type of copper fittings these are and how to assemble? I would love to swap this out on my boat. I don't want to replace the water distribution housing with another piece of plastic.

alldodge

Staff member
Could you tell me what size/type of copper fittings these are and how to assemble? I would love to swap this out on my boat. I don't want to replace the water distribution housing with another piece of plastic.
Suggest PM BT and he can fix you up

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
From memory, start with a 1 inch "T" a short 1 inch vert section 3-5 inches long, a i inch "street elbow" and 1 inch coupling on the right. On the left a reducer from 1 inch to 3/4 .
PM me an address for the bushing that accepts the 1/8 pipe plug for draining
On the bottom solder it in place first then drill the drain hole, then screw in the plug

Trim rubber hoses to fit