leak from deck to inside boat above waterline

Goldenbear22

Recruit
Hello! I have a deck leak ( only noticeable in big rain but afterwards it it perpetually moist setting up a bad space for the mold/mildew growth) ) inside the cabinet below-- There are is deck hardware above- which I suspect may be the source of leak- either that or I need to re-bed the stanchions--as I may need to access those bolts from the deck ...What do you all recommend? Silicone? 3M 5200? ( I hate working with that stuff - its so gooey but it is solid) or maybe I should put foam ( once it's thoroughly DRY) and just have faith I pull bolts out from deck alone? Thoughts?
Thanks all - I'm new to forum so I am sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
When talking about a specific issue it's always best to provide as much info as possible and pics in this case might help

Not seeing what your issue is, I would think 3M 4000 maybe

Goldenbear22

Recruit
Thank you - yes a pic is a good idea-- I'll try to get one tonight. I suspect the leak is where the bolts go through the deck-- standard kind of source of leaks vs. the whole deck being faulty as I have maintained the paint on deck-
I will try the 3M4000- good idea!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ideally you want the 4000 UV fast cure formulation
Sooooooooooooo whats this stuff? I've used that on home nickel dime repairs but never heard about the marine application. Actually, worked and had a UV light. Cure was seconds.
Cool if it is something, new to me is all.
Just read fast cure is 24 hours?
And what about the rot already set in?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
If you have rot, obviously the core is rotted. That will have to be dealt with, and repaired accordingly. It can turn into a pretty big repair.