lazy passengers..

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class
what is it about people riding on your boat and thinking they just get the sit there and do absolutely nothing.. i had to debate both of my last passengers just to get one of them to pull the damn anchor up!!! and then one of them gave the other one $10 cause they brought the beer and food but neither of em gave me a dime for gas!.. umm.. whats a nice way to say.. give me some freaking money for gas damnit!!?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: lazy passengers..

I never ask my guests for gas money. I do spell out the "chores" list before they get on.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Anytime I've invited anybody on my boat, I've never expected them to pay for fuel. Just as if I invite them into my home I don't expect them to pay a part of the utilities. If they volunteer to pay, that's nice. With respect to beverages, I tell them ahead that they're on their own. If a meal is involved, it's a cooperative plan.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

what is it about people riding on your boat and thinking they just get the sit there and do absolutely nothing.. i had to debate both of my last passengers just to get one of them to pull the damn anchor up!!! and then one of them gave the other one $10 cause they brought the beer and food but neither of em gave me a dime for gas!.. umm.. whats a nice way to say.. give me some freaking money for gas damnit!!?
You are taking out the wrong type of people. And FWIW it would be their last invite out.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah i agree about not asking.. but come on gas is like $3.30 around here.. it cost me like $90+ for gas for the day.. and right in front of me you are going to hand the other one $10 for the food!!! and i wouldnt have thought anything of it until i saw the one pull out the money.. i thought he was going to offer some to me for the gas but he turned right around and gave it to the other one.. for the food!.. gave me nothing..

if a friend drives me around in their car for 5 hours to go do something i offer em gas money for the car.. why should a boat be any different?

it is only a 21 ft cuddy cabin so not a lot that needs to be done but still.. give me crap just cause i ask ya to raise or lower the anchor.. like im supposed to lower the anchor then run back to the control and set it.. while you all just sit there and drink beer.. and say what a wonderful time you are having..

hmmm.. maybe the rule should be if ya dont do anything then you can pay me $300+ cause then im pretty much just a charter boat..

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

If you want gas money from your boating guest, maybe you should make them aware of that prior to boarding.
On their lack of initative to participiate in the boating experience, perhaps they ought to be made to walk the plank.
You are the captain, are you not?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

You need better friends. :p

My one buddy from work that goes fishing w/ me always (w/o my asking even) buys drinks, the bait, and/or atleast offers gas money for the pull to the lake. My other buddy will atleast do some work while we're out fishing.

tommays

Admiral

I would never let my guests pay for gas UNLESS it was some kind of big joint trip we had planed :confused:

Now if your taking the same person out every week that might be a bit different

Tommays

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........

Those are the people who Don't get another Invite........;)

woodrat

Ensign

when I take friends out in the boat just to cruise around, which isn't all that often, it is usually a gift to them, me giving them an experience they don't have another way to get. A couple of the guests I have taken fishing have given up the gas money without a word from me. When I fish with my brother, I pay for the gas, he cooks breakfast, makes coffee and usually buys lunch too.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To me a guest is a guest, not a partner.

I fish and boat mostly with partners, but since I am the Skipper I set the rules and lay them out ahead of time.

No alcohol.
Who buys gas.
Who brings ice, Gator Aid and snacks.
Who pilots the boat and who runs the troller from the front seat are swapped off and negotiated.
Etc.

If you do not state your expectations ahead of time you have no right to complain if they are not met.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

It would be right thing for your guests to hand you some cash. It would be mandatory that they assist in whatever the captain requests or instructs. The money would be secondary in my opinion, but it sure shows the charactor of your passengers, but the failure to assist in the operation and safety of the craft make them unacceptable for any future trips.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would be right thing for your guests to hand you some cash. It would be mandatory that they assist in whatever the captain requests or instructs. The money would be secondary in my opinion, but it sure shows the charactor of your passengers, but the failure to assist in the operation and safety of the craft make them unacceptable for any future trips.
I don't know Pointer, I've seen some people I don't think I would want them doing anything but sit there, ya know what I mean?:eek:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

SBN,

Oh I know exactly what you (oops) mean. But those are people I wouldn't ask to do anything on my boat but to remain seated during manuevers (docking, anchoring, etc). But if I ask someone to man the lines, pull anchor, stop playing with the flare gun, it isn't a debate. I most often ask nothing of my passengers, but..............

In the words of my old boss: Sure it sounds like a request, but it is really a condition of employment. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

They make river banks and beaches for friends like that.

Next time they want to go along, just say " you don't have gas money (for the extra dead weight) ". That oughta get their attention.

I never expect gas money for the boat (small motor). But gas money for the truck would be nice. Or at least buy the bait or snacks.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm, interesting thread and I'm glad I haven't been put in that situation with friends but pa-in-law, brother-in-law, now that's a different matter. I wouldn't mind but pa-in-law insists on bring every single piece of fishing gear he owns (that's a lot), has zero boat sense, hates being told what to do (even politely and for his own safety) and is the sort of fisherman who wants the boat moved every two to three minutes if he hasn't caught something :mad:

Brother-in-law is just stoopid :rolleyes:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The gas $ and all that, I really don't care one way or the other...

But, when I say "sit yo' arse down" or "handle that bow line", I have a damn good reason for telling my guest so....If my guest (or guests) don't comply, i'll put em' right back out on the dock...I've done it before..

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

The gas $ and all that, I really don't care one way or the other...

But, when I say "sit yo' arse down" or "handle that bow line", I have a damn good reason for telling my guest so....If my guest (or guests) don't comply, i'll put em' right back out on the dock...I've done it before..

There was no mention of sweet tea, what's up with that?
Yer buddy Art will think that yer slippin. :p

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I spent all day saturday with my kids and 5 guests. I paid for the gas and brought beverages and the guests brought their own beverages as well. We all paid for our own food and one of the guests bought bait and worked the anchors. When the day was done, my guests bought me and my kids dinner. Certainly, I paid out more than I got back because of gas for the truck and the boat but in the end I feel that it was worth it to have the company of friends and family. I would have spent the same amount in gas if I had gone alone so the extra company was a bonus.