Launching Question

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a possible unique question. At least I haven't seen anyone post this yet... I have a Trophy 2002 Walkaround. Launching with 2 people is no problem. I.e. one in the boat to back it off the trailer, one in the truck to put the trailer in the water.. Ditto in reverse for retrieving. Question. When you are alone and want to launch, After you back the boat/trailer into the water. you have to then get into the boat to back off the trailer. uhh,, well, that boat has a very high bow so your options are pretty much walk or swim around back and board by the swim ladder or climb up over the bow like a monkey. As I get older, the bow seems to get higher and the water colder. It would be cool if there were some sort of ladder system that would allow you to get up on the trophy's bow from the front. This way you could back the boat in the water, get on the boat from the front, back it off and tie it up, then move the truck.
ideas? Suggestions? I guess I could build one but I was hoping for a solution that I could just buy. (I am pretty lazy after all.)

LAZAROS

Recruit
Re: Launching Question

You could always back the trailer a little further into the water until the boat becomes afloat, and have a rope tied to the front cleat. Then while holding the rope get on the pier and pull the boat close enough to board it. Or what I usually do when I'm alone is back the trailer close to the pier so I can jump in and back off the trailer. However I have roller bunks which make it a breeze.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

when I'm alone is back the trailer close to the pier so I can jump in and back off the trailer. However I have roller bunks which make it a breeze.

That's exactly how I do it. Hopefully you have a side dock at the ramp.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wait til I have a shot at a launch near the dock. Tie the boat to the dock. Back the truck down and stomp on the brake. The boat slides off the trailer and drifts a few feet off the dock. I retrieve the boat and tie it down proper, then pull the truck and trailer out to park.

Coming in is a different story. I put the trailer in shallow. Then I drive the boat up onto the bunks. The boat is beached pretty well and is not going anywhere. Either I step off the boat onto the dock, or climb over the bow, onto the winch post. This takes some agility. Then, I'll run the winch strap out to the bow eye and snug it up. If the boat is heavy and can't be brought up by the winch, I'll back the truck down a bit and tighten the winch. In any case, the bow is secured.

Problems arise when you have a surge pulling the boat sideways or a high wind blowing the boat away. In any case, the experts run the boat up onto the trailer high an dry, are over the railing quickly, securing the bow eye. In some cases, the surge will walk the boat up onto a shallow trailer.

The old timers seem to put their boats up on the trailer hard, are over the bow instantly, have secured the bow eye, and have winched to boat up onto the bunks, just as fast as you have read this. They clear the ramp pretty quickly.

Down in Monterey, there are occasions where the swell is so strong that your truck will get washed away, or the boat will ride the surf in and land in the bed of your truck. The best course of action is to tie off the boat at the guest dock and come back in a few hours. Your safety over rides the desire to get home on time.