launching a pontoon boat

Sassy0353

Cadet
We just purchased our first pontoon and we can't get it off the trailer. We have a Chevy silverado 1500 with a 20 inch tire. My husband backed the pontoon into the water several times going a little deeper, the last attempt was when the exhaust was submerged under water. What are we doing wrong or what can we try?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what kind of trailer? bunk trailer or scissor trailer?

did you un-hook the rear tie downs?

ahicks

Captain
That would be a pretty unique situation - assuming the boat isn't still tied to the trailer. A deeper boat landing with more drop off would be one solution.

MRS

Commander
Post a couple more times and then take a picture of your trailer and pontoon. Will help a lot.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sassy - Forum rules require you to post a minimum number of times before you can add a photo. And note that this forum will go down for a while for upgrades any day now.

Sassy0353

Cadet
Its a Marine trailer it has 15 inch tires. We have thought about going to a 13 inch but have heard that the pontoon would blow the tires out due to the weight. We are looking at getting a lubricant just for this problem.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I launch my 24' pontoon solo by backing the trailer onto the ramp until the rear wheels of my truck are about 5' from the water. I then tie the front of the boat off with a long line to the dock that parallels the ramp. I get back into the truck, back it until the tires are almost at the water and hit the brakes sharply. The water is 4-5' deep at the back of the boat and it just slides off the bunks. When the line is clear of the trailer, I move it and the truck to the parking area. If the water at your ramp is not deep enough to float the rear 3/4 of the boat, you need either a steeper ramp or an extension for your trailer tongue to get it out farther.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
how deep is your ramp when you are 15' from the shore? you will need about 3-1/2' or more

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would guess that maybe 2ft

your going to have to find a different ramp, or back in much further.

if this is the only ramp, you will have to back in further.

for example, launching the family fishing boat in the spring up in Ishpeming MI to chase walleye, we would have to back up until water was coming in the cab. to do that, make sure you extend the breather tubes on the truck differentials and transfer case first

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If I needed to go a lot farther out, I'd want to know how far the ramp goes and what is the bottom is like after the ramp ends. And here is an example of a tongue extension. I had one for a sailboat I once owned.
img_2584-jpg.169753

ahicks

Captain
There is no justification for the bunks to be set that high above the trailer frame. You want those as low as possible to avoid problems like you are having.

Launching a setup like this into knee deep water is never going to go well. To back in further may drop the trailer wheels off the edge of the ramp. While that may allow the boat to be launched, you could be in for a real battle getting the boat back on that trailer. If this is an unimproved dirt ramp, might be time to do some wading prior to another try. That rig is going to need waist deep water to float that boat.

The guy that told you smaller tires would blow due to weight needs to back into a heavy duty butt kicking machine. That boat, unless the toons are full of water or something else is going on, shouldn't weigh much more than a larger popup camper.....