Late 80's Mercury 4.5 Trouble Areas

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
159
Hello, Can anyone tell me what to check on a late 1980's Mercury 4.5 hp when looking to purchase? I am more knowledgeable with Johnsons/ Evinrudes. Are there any notorious trouble areas or problems with these motors? Should I do a compression check and if so what should it be on this engine? Thanks in advance.
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: Late 80's Mercury 4.5 Trouble Areas

It's a real trouble free engine, ck gear lube a hear it run before purchase
 

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
159
Re: Late 80's Mercury 4.5 Trouble Areas

Thanks Laddies. I may not be able to run it before purchase, does anyone know what the compression should be?
 

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
4,062
Re: Late 80's Mercury 4.5 Trouble Areas

Over 100 I believe is ok
 

OldMercsRule

Captain
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
3,340
Re: Late 80's Mercury 4.5 Trouble Areas

No reason not to start and run an engine that size IMHO. JR
 

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
159
Re: Late 80's Mercury 4.5 Trouble Areas

Thanks guys
 
Top