Last Century post 11/06 ? Come on, owners!!!

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Own an '86 27' Meridian - anybody else out there??
Let's dish - Photos ??

capngregg

Cadet
Re: Last Century post 11/06 ? Come on, owners!!!

Hey Docknocker, I didn't notice the Century category until today, I've been working on sailing stuff the last few months and haven't even thought about the century.

I've owned NG6852 since 1988. (I bought it from a friend through an estate sale) This is a 20' (19'6") 1968 Resorter, boat # 3 for that year out of 27.

I don't have any digital pics of it but as soon as I get the cover off in the spring and clean it up, I'll get some good pics to you.

This boat was trashed when I bought and most of the wooden toe rails and support structures were rotted out. Luckily the hull is fiberglass. This boat has the original engine (although I've done lots of work to it) an Industrial Ford 390 cu.in., 285 HP (solid lift) The engine of course is the R/H rotation variety so it has some peculiarities.

These boats are great and getting more rare all the time. There are factory original parts still available thanks to Conrad Adamski and the guys that bought the company from him up in Manistee, Michigan.

My boats name is "Century's Past". I've got lots of stories.

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alrighty, Capn. Good to finally hear from a Century owner. One of the best brands on the (past tense) market. Soon as I can figure out how to post photos, I'll get some on of my 2770 Meridian "Past Due".
Good to hear about Adamski - any more info on OEM parts ?
Look fwd to hearing from you in the future - welcome to
iBoats ......

Drew

capngregg

Cadet

I'm looking forword to your pics. I've got to say these are (were) well built boats.

Some of the newer Centurys (built in Florida somewhere) are lacking in attractive lines but for the most part they are excellent boats.

The boat I have came with an optional "roller-top" but my windshield frame was never fitted with the latches to hook up to the roller-top.

I purchased a complete roller top many years ago with the intention of installing it and I still have it in my garage. Except for a small (1 inch) tear in the top it is in excellent and original condition.

After I replaced the mahohany toe rails I just couldn't bring myself to screw the receptacles for the top to the boat.

I have seen pics of Centurys with the top and I'll try to get those uploaded on here.

There is also a guy here in the Dallas area that has a large collection of antique boats and a few Centurys. I'll see if I can track him down and get him to post on this site.

I post on a few other sites so I'll see if I can get some more Century owners involved in this one.

reimelss

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just recently purchased a 25' 1988 Century Mirada. Its in pretty good shape, has a rebuilt 350 chevy in it with a rebuilt lower unit, It could use some paint..all carpets and interior cushions were redone...Needs a little cosmetic work very little mechanical...I am trying to put in new motors for the trim tabs...any ideas on where these are located....
I am alos up for any other useful information about these type of boats.
Please let me know. Thanks.
Scott

century19

Recruit

docknocker-
i grew up on a boat like yours at lake powell utah always a great boat no breakdowns ever....sorry no pics though...it was before digital cameras.....

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

My brother and I just purchased a 1974 18' Century Resorter. Growing up, we had a 1970 16' Resorter. The 1970 was the first year they made the 16' Resorter in Glass. Prior to that, it was known as the Cheetah. God I LOVE these boats. Such classic design.

Anyway, the '74 we just purchased was custom ordered in Green. I've been told that no other 18' Resorters came from the factory in this shade of green. Don't know how true that is, but it is interesting. The boat is in excellent shape but the engine needs to be rebuilt (it burns a little oil). It's a Chrysler 440.

I can't wait to begin a full restoration (probably next year).

You really have to reduce the size of pics to post. I hope they look OK

Attachments

• P7040090b.jpg
    P7040090b.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P7040078a.jpg
    P7040078a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P7040079a.jpg
    P7040079a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P7040081a.jpg
    P7040081a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0

stroyer

Seaman Apprentice

Hi From Denmark.
Does anyone know the original specs. on this model ?
weight, top speed, etc.
1990 Century mirada 270xl 270hp. merc. 350 mag. Alpha one.
Maybe a owner of a similar boat.
I am restoring my century.
This winter i am replacing my Alpha One outdrive with a Volvo Duo Prop 290 exiting how it will work on my boat
See link.
http://www.baadgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=2643&ipc=20274
http://www.baadgalleri.dk/html/alb_vis.asp?AlbumID=326
20146.jpg

29878.jpg

rooke222

Cadet

Picked this up just before winter.
1984 Century Fiero 22.5 ft
350, 260hp Mercruiser
I Cant find anyone that owns a similar boat, and there is no info on the internet about this boat!!

Attachments

• 16632_344940360272_701860272_9687926_6695665_n.jpg
    16632_344940360272_701860272_9687926_6695665_n.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

iceman19

Recruit

I just purchased a 1982 century arabian 19' runabout this past summer. It is a v-drive powered by a 454 chevy. The boat is real nice except for the interior needing work on a corner cushion.If I can figure out how to post pics I will get some taken.

Jeff.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I just purchased a 1982 century arabian 19' runabout this past summer. It is a v-drive powered by a 454 chevy. The boat is real nice except for the interior needing work on a corner cushion.If I can figure out how to post pics I will get some taken.

Jeff.

Are you familiar with A & A Marine? They are located in Manistee MI, right across from where Century's were originally made. They have many, many parts for your boat and are a great resource. Great people to just BS with to.

http://www.classicboating.com/

joenapier

Seaman

SMCLEAR - I saw that boat for sale a year or so ago and I REALLY liked the green color. Interesting that it is a custom color from the factory - that's a special boat. I almost went with green myself.

Nice to see some other Century lovers out there.

I bought a 1977 20' Arabian a year ago that I knew needed some work, but not as much as I bargained for!

For a year I have rebuilt the entire floor and carpet, re-mounted the engine and re-aligned the stern drive, built a new kitty-cat deck, new bench seat, new wood dashboard, stereo, steering wheel, new paint, polished all stainless and chrome, and all new upholstery. She's almost ready to make her debut and get her picture taken - once I chase down a short I have in the ignition.

Pictures soon!

The weather is getting nice here in Charleston, SC, so the familiy is getting antsy to run her up the ICW out to the barrier islands.

michalakmj

Recruit

Rooke, do you mean a boat like this? This is my 1985 Century Fiero. My dad bought it in 1988 and I've recently taken over as owner and financeer. My dad made some serious modifications to it in the early ninetees, and I'm going to do some of my own soon. While the boat has some nice lines, it had some design issues.

First the sliding plexiglass bow window turns into a disaster. It wears out, leaks, and rattles around. Not to mention the bow deck is weak and unsupported- you could see it flex when someone climbed out there. We removed that entire assembly, cut the tinted plexy, and glued it into the hole so that it's flush with the bow deck and the center window closes and seals over it. Then we added a bow hatch. We also added stiffeners to the underside of the deck and recarpeted the cabin ceiling. We ripped out the water tank, sink, and toilet. The cabin door does nothing but bang around so that's long gone too. The drop down door in front of what used to be the sink is now permanently fastened because- you guessed it- it bangs around. The boat is also prone to small stress cracks in the gel coat and fiberglass. One other thing you may find important- the fuel tank is fastened to plywood by 12 stainless wood screws. I don't know how they do it in other boats, but all of mine were either snapped or stripped out of their holes. The holes in the aluminum flanges on the screws that held the longest wallowed out to about 5/16". So I drilled new holes and remounted using new screws and I'll check them every season.

My consensus is that this was not a very well-designed boat in the first place, but it would have probably been best-suited to life on an inland lake or river. As it was, it spent its entire life on Lake Michigan where it took a constant pounding. I'm determined to make it last for as long as I can, so I plan to address the aging interior, stress cracks, and rattling windshield in due time. I'd be interested to hear about your boat if you get the chance- I've never talked so anyone else who had one.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0

Jamie830

Recruit

I aquired a '72 Century Coronado as payment and want to find out more about it, are you familiar with this model at all? If I decide to hang onto it, there will have to be some minor cosmetic repairs done to it. How would I go about finding a value of this boat?
Thanks,
Jamie

joenapier

Seaman

http://www.antiqueboat.com/categories/1/classic-glass.aspx

For some reason, the link is not working right now.

Arabians, Coranados, Resorters, Fibersports...some nice old boats. You'll find several Coronados from the early 70's era.

Those are some sweet boats. If I lived on a lake instead of saltwater, I'd go wth an inboard. Here there are too many oyster beds and tides to mess with getting hung up.

mcrustyruss

Cadet

Hey there!

Well I had to sell my 86 Resorter with 230 hp I/B 2 years ago in order to make ends meet. It was a perfect boat that I practically gave away. :mad: Now for the good news......business is picking up and I picked up a 74 Arabian with 350 hp 454 V-drive. It's ugly as hell, has a totally rotten floor and stringers, and has been unfortunately redone before. I've done the floor thing before, but this time I'll be repainting the hull as well. It did come with a very nice trailer (2000 model Shore Land R), and it runs pretty smoothly. Oh yeah, I picked it up for $1,500! Unfortunately the person who redid it before removed all the emblems and did not put them back. I know there are places out there that still have them, but that's a long way off on the priority list. Here's something I could use some help with:
The title says it's a 74, but the hull, which is missing the id tag on the rear, doesn't resemble other 74s I've seen. For example, the stern on my boat slopes downward at about a 45 deg angle. Also, the bow deck only has one rise in the center where the vents go. Other 74s I've seen have a raised area that goes all the way across the bow. Anyone know??? On another note, I'm not sure what type of marine 454 I have. The valve covers do have a small Indmar sticker, but they are aftermarket MT brand. Now that I've written a novel, hopefully somebody out there knows there Centurys enough to help me out. I look forward to your responses!

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I aquired a '72 Century Coronado as payment and want to find out more about it, are you familiar with this model at all? If I decide to hang onto it, there will have to be some minor cosmetic repairs done to it. How would I go about finding a value of this boat?
Thanks,
Jamie

Check out A&A Marine. They are located in Manistee Michigan right across the river from where Century's were originally built. When Century shut down there, and moved to Florida, a lot of the staff bought up the old equipment and started the business. Great group of guys that really, really know there Century's. There website is not a complete indication of what all they offer, call them. Their boat guys, not IT guys.

http://www.classicboating.com/

harpo29

Recruit

Just bought a century 1987 300 Grande with twin 305's, blue interior blue and white exterior, is there any others out there?

Last edited:

harpo29

Recruit

A pic of the 1987 300 Grande,

Attachments

• 101_3528.jpg
    101_3528.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0

1977 Sabre

Attachments

• sabre1.jpg
    sabre1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2