Laser as a rescue aid?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
There are frequent news stories like this one where people get prosecuted for shining lasers at aircraft, etc.

Gives me the idea that having a small laser onboard in the ditch bag might be a good idea.

The Coast Guard and other rescue agencies say that even though the person in the water can see the aircraft, that the aircraft often still cannot see them. Having that bright little light with the long range might be a good plan.

Whaddaya think?

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Laser as a rescue aid?

I have no idea how people hit an airplane cockpit window with a laser. I have tried to hit a street stop sign from a block away and its almost impossible.

Bifflefan

Commander

You would be a lot better off with a good water proof flash light. It can bee seen from all angles, where as a laser ( i think) can only bee seen if you looking right at it, or close to it anyway.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Or a waterproof strobe that hits 360 degrees.......

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

an old cd will do the trick during daylight. the hole in the center will help you aim.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Lazers can cause temporary blindness in much the same way that a camera flash can. Not exactly what your "local rescue pilot or crewman" wants to experience. It is also a situation that could cause the aircrew not to see you, rather than to discover your presence.

Your best bet is a bright strobe, flares, etc. This is true largely because the human eye detects movement in peripheral vision, better than it does a stationary object or light, as seen directly ahead. Rescue aircrews are trained to search within their assigned sector (relative to the aircraft) by making rapid eye movements horizontally. You don't sweep your eyes across the horizon slowly - you do so in sort of a "snapping motion." More often than not, when you actually see something, you will see it peripherally, not directly.

It is true that search crews will often not see a person on the ground or in the water. This happens for a lot of reasons, but use of good signalling devices usually overcomes that. One such device, that is somewhat similar to what you were trying to get at with the lazer, is a signal mirror. These mirrors have a hole in the middle, that can be used to sight it towards the aircraft. From that point, movement of the mirror will cause bright flashes from reflected sunlight, but will not blind aircrews. You can also use a blank CD for this purpose - just use the silver side for reflection and the hole in the middle for sighting.

jay_merrill
ex USCG SAR Aircrewman

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yep, bad idea for reasons already stated...besides, do you really want to blind your rescuer???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ground to air miss..... uh, never mind

Cutter47

Recruit

There is already a product on the market. Google "Rescue Laser Flare". They are perfect for personel protective equipment. Attach it right to your PFD, or Life jacket.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

There is already a product on the market. Google "Rescue Laser Flare". They are perfect for personel protective equipment. Attach it right to your PFD, or Life jacket.

Cool! Glad to see that somebody came up with the idea and found a way to make a buck from it too.

I guess I didn't expect to get replies about obvious things like flares, mirrors, smoke signals, etc. Took those to be understood from the get-go and either used up or not applicable. CDs and mirrors don't work too well at night. As a friend of mine used to say... "blatantly obvious to even the most casual observer!" LOL! :D

Personally, I'd rather run the risk of "temporarily blinding" a would-be rescue crew member (who then hollers out to the others that "somebody hit me with a laser from the southeast quadrant!") and let them yell at me AFTER I'm safely rescued!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Personally, I'd rather run the risk of "temporarily blinding" a would-be rescue crew member (who then hollers out to the others that "somebody hit me with a laser from the southeast quadrant!") and let them yell at me AFTER I'm safely rescued!

Personally, I'd rather someone not temporarily blind me while I'm trying to fly an airplane, so that I can save his .... Personally I'd rather someone not temporarily blind me, so that I can't see squat and can not confirm where the offending light came from.

I mentioned many of the currently used devices, because they work. If someone comes up with a lazer based device that accomplishes the desired goal, without the negative aspects of the highly concentrated light beams that we are now discussiing, great. Otherwise, leave them at home.

???

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Personally, I'd rather someone not temporarily blind me while I'm trying to fly an airplane, so that I can save his .... Personally I'd rather someone not temporarily blind me, so that I can't see squat and can not confirm where the offending light came from.

I mentioned many of the currently used devices, because they work. If someone comes up with a lazer based device that accomplishes the desired goal, without the negative aspects of the highly concentrated light beams that we are now discussiing, great. Otherwise, leave them at home.
???

Did you bother looking up the Rescue Flare mentioned by Cutter47? It IS safe to look at per the website. http://www.greatlandlaser.com/

Seems to be a fine product for its intended purpose.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

let's put some on the merchant ships. just a little more powerful. anyone want roasted pirate?

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

The Coast Guard and other rescue agencies say that even though the person in the water can see the aircraft, that the aircraft often still cannot see them. Having that bright little light with the long range might be a good plan.

Whaddaya think?

The problem I see with this is that it is highly directional, and has a very small effective radius. You have to aim it exactly at the cockpit (of a moving aircraft). Off a few degrees, and it isn't seen. You may have a rescuer on the ground a few feet from you and they wouldn't see it.

So you have to be alert, know exactly where the search party is, be pretty much uninjured, and have good aim to use the thing.

For about the same amount of weight and size, you could get yourself a rescue strobe. (http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/strobelight.html) Almost 360 degrees of effective radius, and you don't have to aim it. You can use this while asleep, be injured, and don't have to be searching for your searchers for it to be effective. There's even one that will go off when it hits the water - so you don't even have to be 'awake' to start it...

-V

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

The problem I see with this is that it is highly directional, and has a very small effective radius. You have to aim it exactly at the cockpit (of a moving aircraft). Off a few degrees, and it isn't seen. You may have a rescuer on the ground a few feet from you and they wouldn't see it.

So you have to be alert, know exactly where the search party is, be pretty much uninjured, and have good aim to use the thing.

For about the same amount of weight and size, you could get yourself a rescue strobe. (http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/strobelight.html) Almost 360 degrees of effective radius, and you don't have to aim it. You can use this while asleep, be injured, and don't have to be searching for your searchers for it to be effective. There's even one that will go off when it hits the water - so you don't even have to be 'awake' to start it...

-V

Read posts #11 and #13.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I'm fairly certain everyone has already read posts 11 & 13. I suggest you reread all the posts explaining, in detail, why a laser is a dumb idea.

It was a neat idea you had. Now that it has been shown to be less than optimal, why are you clinging to it? I have an idea to carry an emergency inflatable airplane in my pocket. What do you mean it's not a good idea? I'm sticking with it!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Rubberfrog ? your opinion is just that? YOUR opinion. I did not quote you in my reply #18 and you had no reason to reply. I quoted V1_0 who quoted my FIRST post #1 and apparently didn?t read posts #11 and #13 before doing so. He hasn?t replied since.

And you can only speak for yourself, not anyone else about who has read what. Your ridiculing tone about an airplane in your pocket is completely uncalled for.

I am not clinging to anything, especially after finding out about the rescue laser that is already being marketed, which IS safe and WON?T blind anyone. So the idea clearly has merit. I will obtain and USE that safe laser if ever needed, whether or not it agrees with your opinion.

I started this thread in hopes that we could all have a civil discussion about making every tool available to mariners in distress, the laser being just another tool.

However, it has become clear that some folks on this thread think that it?s better for the mariner in trouble to die in the sea than to use a new and innovative tool or inconvenience someone else.