Larson Shark **All Years** trihull boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I wanted to start a thread for everyone who owns a Larson Shark. Please post a picture of your boat and the history of the boat. I own a Larson Shark 1600, I am unsure of the year but I am guessing it is a 1973? Does anyone know the year range in which Larson produced the "Shark" model? Where the "Sharks" all trihulls?DSC05687.jpgDSC05691.jpg

jimmy120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Larson Shark **All Years** trihull boat

Nobody has a Shark they want to post on this forum?

jkorbes

Recruit

I have a 1974 Larson Shark 1600, looks exactly like yours. Here are the best pictures I have at the moment.

Kp8V0.jpg

lvx4H.jpg

jimmy120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey, that is awesome. Yours is exactly like mine. Does yours have the 85 HP Mercury? Yours appears to be in a lot better shape than mine. I have been doing some fiberglass repair trying to track down a leak. I wish I had the canopy. How long have you owned it? Any issues with it? Post more pics if you get a chance, I will do the same. Thanks for sharing.

jkorbes

Recruit

Yeah, mine has the original 85 HP Mercury. The boat is in decent shape for its age, but needs some transom repairs -- the fiberglass is starting to split on the corners of the piece where the outboard is mounted. Overall, it's a lot of fun, handles really nicely on the water and is extremely stable even with five people and a dog on board.

I'll try to get some more pictures posted in a day or two.

jimmy120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, mine has the original 85 HP Mercury. The boat is in decent shape for its age, but needs some transom repairs -- the fiberglass is starting to split on the corners of the piece where the outboard is mounted. Overall, it's a lot of fun, handles really nicely on the water and is extremely stable even with five people and a dog on board.

I'll try to get some more pictures posted in a day or two.

Cool, I would appreciate the pics. I found out that mine has a 1976 Mercury 850 (85 HP) engine on it. So, either the motor is the original and my boat is actually a 1976 or the original engine has been replaced. Is there anyway to tell what year my boat is?

jkorbes

Recruit

Based on the research I've done (found a couple of old Larson catalogs from 1974), I believe mine has the original engine. The boat is titled as a 1974, but beyond that, I'm not sure how you'd validate the age on yours. Might be able to decode the hull number.

I posted some better pictures on Flickr. You can see all of them here. Here are a few:

Transom is pretty sketchy :(

As you can see, the transom is probably the worst part of the boat. It has a little bit of flex to it but seems fairly sturdy. I'm just not doing anything crazy (skiing/tubing/etc.) with the boat until I can get in and put a new transom in, which might happen this winter. In the meantime, I just go easy on it and keep an eye on things.

I recently removed the stock canopy and replaced it with a tall bimini top. I still have the stock one and could probably ship it to you for the price of shipping if you want it. Not sure how it would work for shipping the long pieces of the frame, but it might be doable, plus it looks like your boat already has the rails and snaps in place to hold everything up. Send me a PM if you're interested.

jimmy120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the extra pics. Your boat is in better shape than mine, except for the transom. I need to redo the interior and install gauges (I dont have any). I am currently having issues with my Mercury 850, it is bogging down when I throttle more than 3/4 (WOT). Its probably a a carb issue. I would pay shipping for the old canopy. Is it in fair shape?

jkorbes

Recruit

PM replied regarding the canopy.

Interesting about the WOT issue. I'm not much of a motor guy but I wonder if you might have a spark/distributor issue due to frayed wiring. I opened mine up last weekend and found that the entire inner wiring harness was crumbing apart and corroded through, and what was left of it had been held together with massive amounts of electrical tape by the previous owner. :| I ended up ordering a new harness from BoatFix.com for $99 + shipping and am going to install it tomorrow. I don't know what it'll do for my motor yet but I'd definitely recommend it. The Mercury part number is 84-66055 and the manufacturer's part number is 414-2770 (it's manufactured by CDI). Just make sure you mark where the old one plugged in (I used labels on the wires) and the new one will go in pretty easily since the wire colors match.

jkorbes

Recruit

Small update: I finished installing the wiring harness this morning and the difference is pretty incredible. I hadn't started the motor since February and it fired right up after only 5-10 seconds of cranking (took it a lot longer before). I was also able to bring the choke lever down within 20 or 30 seconds, which would normally cause it to stall out before. Big difference all around. We'll see how it does on the water tomorrow :)

Larson70

Seaman

I have a very similar boat and will post pictures but that bimini top seems to fit perfect, do you have the model # for that

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Sold her a couple years ago, but a nice solid boat! Wished they still made vinyl like that, it doesn't look that good in my 2001 boat!

boat1-full.jpg

boat2-full.jpg

scionxb

Recruit

Hello everone here are a pic of my 1974 larson shark 1650, mercruser i/o 140H.P.boat.jpg

haneyse

Recruit

I got a boat that were restoring that looks exactly like yours except it has the Johnson 115 hp on it. It was setten outside for the past 8 years and with a little restoration on the interior and a battery it fired right up and idled very well.

marcel007

Recruit

here's my shark 1550

Attachments

• IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4312.jpg
    IMG_4312.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4277.JPG
    IMG_4277.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4279.JPG
    IMG_4279.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 9

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

here is my 1971 larson shark 165. original 85hp evinrude and trailer. one owner since new (till i got her last month) transom, stringer, deck rebuild project underway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 8

martymcfly

Recruit

I just pick up one of these, redoing the floor, stringers, and transom.

Status
Not open for further replies.