Lake Ontario

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Folks,

What would you recommend for a boat in Lake Ontario? Length, Width, Motor, Etc.... any and all suggestions. Not looking to cruise in storms etc just an average days cruise and I know that Lake can change just like that so that's why seeing what people's opinions are.

RGrew176

Commander
Just my personal opinion here after 50+ years of boating on the Great Lakes a minimum boat for me would be 24'. You can go out on smaller boats and I have but you really have to keep an eye on the weather. I have an 18' boat now and I have gone out on Lake Erie with it on good days.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I have fished Lake Ontario weekly for the past 25 years. I started with a 17 footer which is fine for nice sunny days. From there I went up to an 18 footer. These boats usually have a much higher gunnel and lay a bit deeper in the water, next was a 19 foot Starcraft Islander and now a 22 footer Islander.
Lake Ontario has very short wave periods usually about 3 to 4 seconds. That makes 2 to 3 foot waves in 12 to 15 knot winds already choppy.
If you tow your boat you should consider a 23/24 footer with 2 engines. One main and one 9.9 emergency because it is a big lake. The boat should be able to run 25 knots per hour so you can outrun those sudden thunder storms which with climate change happen more often every year. If you slip your boat you should go up to 25/26 foot fiberglass which will enable you to stay out a bit longer and will save you a lot of preparation time, specially loading and unloading on those hot summer days when you have to wait at the ramp. There are the 33 foot Troyan boats as well. These rigs are popular with charter boat captains because of the room and amenities.
Then there is Aluminum or fiberglass. Aluminum is easier to tow but lays high in the water and gets thrown around in the waves a bit more. Fiberglass is heavier and harder to tow, but lays deeper in the water and is more stable. Don't even think of getting a pontoon boat.
Good luck picking a boat.

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
Been out on Ontario in multiple tin StarCrafts. 18-21’ and a fiberglass imperial VC230. The imperial was by far the best ride. Even going out in a small boat advisory on it., but the StarCrafts always get the job done. Ride out in the rough weather and fish with the waves on a rough day

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
Just my personal opinion here after 50+ years of boating on the Great Lakes a minimum boat for me would be 24'. You can go out on smaller boats and I have but you really have to keep an eye on the weather. I have an 18' boat now and I have gone out on Lake Erie with it on good days.
RGrew176,

I appreciate your reply and I agree my 19 ft would probably be fine on good days but want something little bigger for those days where we all know that can change in the blink of an eye. 24ft you think is a safe bet for most days... there isn't a personal watercraft that is guaranteed I get that lol.

Thanks

briangcc

Commander
I've been out on Lake Ontario on every boat in my signature. Not saying its the smartest thing I've ever done as the 15' MFG was a wreck of a boat BUT I have done it....in calm weather.

Personally, anything less than 20' is a no go. Even then, depending on wind/waves that might be dicey.

My admiral won't go on the lake at all on our current boat. We looked at a Grady White a few years back in the 22'+ class and that was deemed acceptable for Lake Ontario.

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
I have fished Lake Ontario weekly for the past 25 years. I started with a 17 footer which is fine for nice sunny days. From there I went up to an 18 footer. These boats usually have a much higher gunnel and lay a bit deeper in the water, next was a 19 foot Starcraft Islander and now a 22 footer Islander.
Lake Ontario has very short wave periods usually about 3 to 4 seconds. That makes 2 to 3 foot waves in 12 to 15 knot winds already choppy.
If you tow your boat you should consider a 23/24 footer with 2 engines. One main and one 9.9 emergency because it is a big lake. The boat should be able to run 25 knots per hour so you can outrun those sudden thunder storms which with climate change happen more often every year. If you slip your boat you should go up to 25/26 foot fiberglass which will enable you to stay out a bit longer and will save you a lot of preparation time, specially loading and unloading on those hot summer days when you have to wait at the ramp. There are the 33 foot Troyan boats as well. These rigs are popular with charter boat captains because of the room and amenities.
Then there is Aluminum or fiberglass. Aluminum is easier to tow but lays high in the water and gets thrown around in the waves a bit more. Fiberglass is heavier and harder to tow, but lays deeper in the water and is more stable. Don't even think of getting a pontoon boat.
Good luck picking a boat.
Rolmops

I currently tow my 19ft but looking to move to something I'm not towing anymore. Drop it in the water park in a slip and enjoy... I'd never go pontoon in lake ontario, fine for smaller bodies of water but not lake ontario for this guy. Appreciate all your feedback really do appreciate it. I have an old 9.8 Merc in storage that once I get into my next boat it will be mounted for such an emergency but will be maintained very well as well.

Thanks again

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
Been out on Ontario in multiple tin StarCrafts. 18-21’ and a fiberglass imperial VC230. The imperial was by far the best ride. Even going out in a small boat advisory on it., but the StarCrafts always get the job done. Ride out in the rough weather and fish with the waves on a rough day
Matt167,

I've heard bad things about the transom on these boats any issues with the transom on the one you had?

Drock1979

Seaman Apprentice
I've been out on Lake Ontario on every boat in my signature. Not saying its the smartest thing I've ever done as the 15' MFG was a wreck of a boat BUT I have done it....in calm weather.

Personally, anything less than 20' is a no go. Even then, depending on wind/waves that might be dicey.

My admiral won't go on the lake at all on our current boat. We looked at a Grady White a few years back in the 22'+ class and that was deemed acceptable for Lake Ontario.
Brian cc,

I'm thinking 24 foot or bigger is our safest bet. I'm a merc fan over the omc, I hear omc parts hard to get but then here they are easy to get and much cheaper in price... I dunno my mercs have treated me well.

Thanks for input.

briangcc

Commander
I'd go outboard and Honda having owned a 115HP model. My next, and last boat, will be outboard as I'm over the Merc. Dealers and parts are plentiful, but their product, at least the Force outboard I owned and the wonderful blender/shift interrupter crapola on my current boat are enough to turn me off for life.

Especially when I filled out an owner survey on my current boat and noted the idiotic shift interrupter and the blender effect when it shifts in/out of gear. Merc's response was..."Why are you complaining as we make other drives without that?"

Others swear by them, I swear at them.

Robalo center consoles and the new Bayliner pilot houses would be 2 that I would consider.

matt167

Captain
Matt167,

I've heard bad things about the transom on these boats any issues with the transom on the one you had?
If you are talking about the Imperial, they are fiberglass and any fiberglass boat older than 25 years old is going to have a wood structure that will rot. Imperial, Bayliner, Wellcraft. Doesn’t matter. If your looking at an 80’s glass boat assume it’s rotten.

If you are talking about StarCraft, they have wooded transoms and decks but are far easier to replace

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Any boats that lay in a slip all summer will eventually have wood rot. Boats that are trailered and kept under cover when not in use will have far less of a problem. The big exception is the Boston Whaler. Those rigs are exceptional in quality.

mr 88

Commander
Any boats that lay in a slip all summer will eventually have wood rot. Boats that are trailered and kept under cover when not in use will have far less of a problem. The big exception is the Boston Whaler. Those rigs are exceptional in quality.
99% of all Boston Whalers will or do have water in the " closed " cell foam that they use . Not really a issue with them but they all have water in them . I've seen them still in use with literally portions of the sides missing , exposed foam and looking like they should of been in the dumpster a decade ago . They keep ticking though .

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Weather & waves. Afternoon wind increases ?
There is NOTHING to hide behind in windy open water. Blowing you farther offshore. You MUST read and obey all weather reports.
I have seen white caps in the St Lawrence River. From the lake.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Went from a 20" center console to a 29.5 Scarab Sport.----Just so I could go out on any day I was off work.----No issues on one of the great lakes.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Bottom line is to know your boat, know your level of expertise, no such thing as a sudden storm, pay close attention to the weather forecast and heed all warnings ! look ahead for weather, today's radar shows 24-48 hrs ahead of what is coming if you pay close attention ! Been on Lake Erie for over 60 years, never had a storm come out of nowhere, they were there if anyone paid attention.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Bottom line is to know your boat, know your level of expertise, no such thing as a sudden storm, pay close attention to the weather forecast and heed all warnings ! look ahead for weather, today's radar shows 24-48 hrs ahead of what is coming if you pay close attention ! Been on Lake Erie for over 60 years, never had a storm come out of nowhere, they were there if anyone paid attention.
We get storms out of nowhere every day.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I call those sudden SQUALLS death traps. 1 almost killed everyone in my Chaparral 19 bow rider. It has the 305 V8 220 hp. I HAD to only point into the 4' with white caps on top. The very deep hull and me putting all the heaviest seniors on the rear seats. Maximum bow up trim . 40 minutes of pure FEAR the boat would turn side ways & fill. The 40 foot cruiser was just to far ahead and to one side to slide into their wake. My fingers were cramping up terribly. No one said a word when we docked. We all realized we could have drowned.
Luck & skill.

airshot

Rear Admiral
We get storms out of nowhere every day.
Pay closer attention to wind speed and direction for hours ahead of your trip. I watch the forecast for the day before, day of and day after, if you know tour area and what the wind will cause when it comes out of certain directions you will know what can develop. No different than a pilot in an airplane, he needs to know in advance and plan accordingly. Been caught in some bad weather many times, but all because I took the chance, should have known better, but took the chance anyway. Like most everything, we play the odds, even when they are not always in our favor !

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Pay closer attention to wind speed and direction for hours ahead of your trip. I watch the forecast for the day before, day of and day after, if you know tour area and what the wind will cause when it comes out of certain directions you will know what can develop. No different than a pilot in an airplane, he needs to know in advance and plan accordingly. Been caught in some bad weather many times, but all because I took the chance, should have known better, but took the chance anyway. Like most everything, we play the odds, even when they are not always in our favor !
It seems as if you are familiar boating in your area. Awesome. I can assure you that in my area storms are unpredictable. There is a microclimate. Yeah, the wind changes earlier. Yeah, certain patterns mean that a storm is more likely. The wind forecast around here is off (as in, wind direction is 180' off) as often as it's right . I can see storm clouds forming, the radar can look completely clear. Paying attention will buy some time, maybe 30 minutes. In the summer the forecast is always hot, humid, possibility of afternoon thunderstorms.