Kohler generator cylinders keep hydro locking

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
I couldn’t find a generator section so admin please move if needed.

After two separate trips I have gone to start my genny only to find its cylinders flooded in water(luckily fresh water). I removed plugs, cranked over until water gone and got it running again. The first time this happed I figured it was due to running out of gas in the port engine while on plane causing surging and coming to an abrupt stop several times before we figured out it must be lack of fuel( gage showed 1/4 tank). Last time out no unusual issues but the genny was full of water again.
What could be the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_7788.jpeg
    IMG_7788.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7791.jpeg
    IMG_7791.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How did you winterize the Genny?

Check for cracks in the exhaust manifold

alldodge

Staff member
Well it's not a Merc so I moved it

What happens when you shut the Gen down?
Listen and watch to see what happens. Wonder if it diesels

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well it's not a Merc so I moved it

What happens when you shut the Gen down?
Listen and watch to see what happens. Wonder if it diesels
Not sure what Dieseling is but will post a short video later today of it shutting down.
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Here is the video…..
It doesn't diesel so not running backwards when shut down.

Was the Gen fully warmed up and not still cold? If it was cold then it might not act the same. Best to see what it does after running a while with normal load the see if it does the same type of shut down.

Dieseling is when a motor continues to run a bit longer and starts sounding different. When it does turn off it may run back words for a short second or two. Running backwards is when it can suck in water

Formulas are a class build and the 400SS was first built in 1998. If you contact Formula Tech and there were any issues and changes needed they would let you know