Kill switch or ignition?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A boat I sold to a buddy was either not starting or cutting off, I cant remember, I told him to check that black/yellow wire to make sure its not randomly grounding out, which it was so like said check it out. I would also disconnect it and run another wire to see if its not internally broken or randomly grounding when not suppose too.

Yes you can temporary disable the kill switch for testing or you can disable the black yellow kill wire and just have to reconnect it to kill it or some other way to cut it off. Just be sure to reattach your kill switch if you choose to wear it, I had a buddy driving a boat in training and a person was thrown from it and the guy was killed, because he forgot to attach his kill switch.

Also if you pull the flywheel you will need a flywheel puller or one that looks like a steering puller. Not a 3 jaw puller but one that screws into the bolt holes in the top and pushes from the center.

Dubvgogetter

Seaman
Ran new wire from ignition M terminal to engine as Jakedaawg mentioned . I did a lot of testing even on that wire but didn't get any indications that wire was bad on voltmeter , but did it anyways. I had already replaced segments of that wire that looked bad but apparently there was a spot or more that was bad and didn't look like it or test like it. Thank you everyone especially Jbuote for all the time you spent a stranger. Means a lot!

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
No problem Dubvgogetter !!

In hindsight, I think you could have had it running sooner and without so many posts, but I guess I went too far down the "Let's diagnose this step by step" route... Wasn't even thinking of just replacing the wire. Sorry about that! :facepalm:
Probably a curse of mine.. I do it on my own boat..
I'll have to bear that in mind the next time I try to help out.. :laugh:

But hey, in the beginning, you said if somebody described how to test the wires, your father in law could help you (paraphrasing, but that's close anyway.. haha). But I bet now you'll have NO TROUBLE checking out wires, for continuity anyway, if something else goes wrong. You've also got a much better understanding of your ignition wiring, AND you got a little more insight into your meter!

Silver linings.. Yeah.. That's it!! :pound:

Seriously,
I'm glad you got it squared away.
Now you can be out boating instead of at home wondering when you'll be boating!

Good stuff! Enjoy!!! :D

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you have the tools I would still look under that flywheel? That is a ticking time bomb. CDI makes a kit to move that the pack back out on the block like the system was before. I believe OMC only left it that way 3 years! Just sayin.

Dubvgogetter

Seaman
Jbuote no problem, man. I learned a lot that way so its all good. And rustywrench i will look into that and hopefully get it done soon!!!