Kiekhaefer Mercury KF-5 "Super 5" Carb Help

lostcountryboy

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
6
I recently picked up a Kiekhaefer Mercury KF-5 "Super 5" from a friend and am trying to get it running. I've cleaned it up really well, changed plugs, fuel, checked for spark, cleaned the carb, cylnders are very clean inside. After cleaning the carb it still will not run. It seems to fire occasionly but not enough to run. I have a feeling my carburator adjustments are out of spec. I also think it would be a good idea to install a carb rebuild kit in it.

Anybody know where I could purchase a new or used carburater for this or a rebuild kit for the old one. I would also like a diagram of the diffrent adjustments for fuel mixture and stock settings if it's avalible. Thanks! Shawn R.
 

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
4,005
Re: Kiekhaefer Mercury KF-5 "Super 5" Carb Help

Not to replace on that carb...you can cut your own gaskets using gasket material from an auto parts store. Biggest thing to check is that the float is floating and the needle valve/seat under is working. I am working on a Mark 7, a cousing to your super 5, and set the high speed/large needle at 3/4 turn out from lightly seated, and the slow speed/small needle 1.5 turns out from lightly seated. Started and ran on the third pull. If yours has the fuel shutoff valve on the carb instead of up on the tank, open the valve slightly instead of all the way, just so you can tell the float is working. Could also be dirty points or cracked coils...you'll have to pull the flywheel to check those.
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: Kiekhaefer Mercury KF-5 "Super 5" Carb Help

The carb gaskets are available through any Sierra dealer 18-7013
 
Top