kicker on boat or kicker on dingy?

KSG

Recruit
I have a 1998 Bayliner Cierra 2855 sunbridge. I am at odds of whether to buy a long shaft kicker motor to mount on my swimstep to push the boat, or just get a short shaft and use it for my inflatable. What seems to be the most appropriate or best practice for those in my shoes?

4now04

Seaman
As I recall the story, a friend had a Bayliner 2850 Contessa with a single 350 Chev I/O and a bracket and fuel line on the swim platform so he could mount his dinghy motor, a 15hp 2 stroke, on the back. One weekend the Volvo Penta outdrive failed. He said it was a 70-mile (24 hour) trip back to home port at 3 miles per hour!!! While it provided some redundancy, it was not ideal. Something to think about

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buddy has a 2.5hp motor on his dinghy for his 37' sail boat. Came back a few times with the sailboat being towed by the dinghy

airshot

Rear Admiral
As I recall the story, a friend had a Bayliner 2850 Contessa with a single 350 Chev I/O and a bracket and fuel line on the swim platform so he could mount his dinghy motor, a 15hp 2 stroke, on the back. One weekend the Volvo Penta outdrive failed. He said it was a 70-mile (24 hour) trip back to home port at 3 miles per hour!!! While it provided some redundancy, it was not ideal. Something to think about
Hard to believe he was that slow. Had a 9.9 jonnyrude on my 22' as a kicker, coil went bad one evening on the nain engine, could just reach 12 mph...15 mile ride back to the dock...