"keyless" ignition

dingbat1

Cadet
Hi all!

I am wondering what the best way to go about installing a "keyless" ignition would be?

I still want to have an in-line key (for security), but I would like to have that hidden on my boat, and have rocker switches on the dash to start it.

I know that the type of switch would be of the OFF/ON/M-ON type.

Is it just as easy to run the wires from the terminals on my old turn-key style system, and have them connected to the rocker switches?

Thanks!:)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: "keyless" ignition

Is it just as easy to run the wires from the terminals on my old turn-key style system, and have them connected to the rocker switches?

Ayuh,... But it sounds like just something else to go Wrong...

dingbat1

Cadet

yeah. I have a Carver 350 Aft. The plan was to put the old turn style switches into a cabinet on the back deck, and then have the toggle switches in the dash on the fly bridge.

My main reason for wanting this is just the "coolness" factor:cool:. I figured i could probably use the old switches for the power, then run the wires back to the new switches. If the old key was on, then it would allow power to the toggles so the boat could start.

Bondo

Staff member

My main reason for wanting this is just the "coolness" factor

Ayuh,.... In that case,...
Ya gotta find a toggleswtich with the flip-up cover...
Like the 1s for arming the missles in a fighter plane....:D

dingbat1

Cadet

haha. Yeah, that would definitely be cool!

do you think the plan I have made would be good though? Do you know of who I could talk to with a way to set this up?

mphy98

Lieutenant

The 2009 dodge challenger SRT8 has a push button start switch as do most vipers. this would probably work for your starting switch part.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

For starters you could jumper from the "On/ Start" to the "Run" through your new switch. It has to be a momentary, like a spring loaded toggle or a push button, Normally its a push button. In this way you turn the key to "Arm" it and the push button engages the starter. Just remember in this way the hour meter is still running and everything is "HOT" You can get deeper than this by using a toggle to "Arm" and the p/b to start or a 3 position - momentary on, release to run and off. Start by looking up switches. Pep Boys actually has just what your looking for in the "hot rod" section. Its what a race car or airplane would use.

dingbat1

Cadet

so let me get this idea straight..

Use the hidden key as the power source; once turned, it will allow the flow of electricity to my rocker switch. The rocker switch when in the OFF position will have no effect, but when I hit it once it will be in the ON or RUN position, and the M-ON will be for starting.

I already went to my local West Marine and looked at the rocker switches - I really like this idea!

Do you know of the best way to wire this though?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I to have been toying witn idea due to the fact that on my Sea Ray the key switch is located almost directly beside the stering column and it is very unergonomic to engauge especially if your sitting down and I to like the fact of a security option if it could be wired to only start by the button but needed the key to energize it.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Yep thats it. You need to look at your ignition wiring in the manual. There are several different things the key does as its turned. You would want to match up the same items to the toggle or rockers. Almost any diagram of an Ignition switch will show you where the wires go for the two or three different types of ignition switches used.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I to have been toying witn idea due to the fact that on my Sea Ray the key switch is located almost directly beside the stering column and it is very unergonomic to engauge especially if your sitting down and I to like the fact of a security option if it could be wired to only start by the button but needed the key to energize it.

Exactly...the number of ways is almost limitless. Its just wires and switches.

dingbat1

Cadet

Yeah - I will definitely be looking into this. I am trying to figure the best way out, and I will probably be yanking the thing apart this week to see the wires themselves and everything. Part of me thinks that this is going to be more work than it's worth, but hey, I think everything will work out in the end.

redfury

Commander

You could always go the route Oops! was looking into with his boat...LCD screen and touch controls. Push the "start" button on the screen and it blows out the bilge, turns on the fuel pump and then starts the motor.

dingbat1

Cadet

though that would be SOOOO cool, I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible. There are a few things that need to be done to this boat in the next couple of weeks, and it's going to be really expensive - one of the more stupid of them being a new house battery, which is a 350 dollar monstrosity:eek:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My neighbors 27' CC Whaler (Twin screw) has the ignition keys inside the center console with the porti potty and the wiring panel. The dashboard has two waterproof toggle switches and two waterproof pushbuttons.

dingbat1

Cadet

what year and model (IE dauntless)?

Are the push button's used for a choke?

what engines?

you may not know any of this, but hey, might as well ask if you do know:)

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

heh, funny. I was just thinking about this over the weekend (chalk one up to collective consciousnes)

My boat has two engines, two ignitions, two keys. I want ONE key and two push button switches. The circuit is simple.

I do like the idea of the toggles with the covers, a la missile command - will be protective as well since I am a paranoid ninny when I am accessing the impellers to cleanout weeds. Don't want someone to inadvertently bump the toggles.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I have the redneck keyless starting system, I just leave the key in the ignition 24/7.

dingbat1

Cadet

Well what I was almost thinking is that since I have an ignition circuit breaker on my distribution panel, I could put the key after that, and then have the rocker switches on my helm.

What do you guys think?

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

here's a simple ciruit diagram

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0