keel repair

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all.....I have a 83ish Bayliner Explorer I am restoring. I actaully had her in the water last summer. I do know though that there were cracks along the keel. So now that the snow is finally all gone I got to work on her. Well, today I ended up cutting the underside of the keel, exposing this cement/gravel/mix within the void inside the keel. It was pretty moist/loose and crumbled out. So I removed it all and am cleaning it all out. But now of course I have an open keel with a void that needs to be filled and then I can re-glass the keel. Of course gravity is not going to work in my favor. How or what can I do/use to fill that void and provide the strength needed within the keel?

Hope to hear ideas.....

mifm1v.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: keel repair

Welcome to iBoats!

You did not say what length of boat she was? I am going to suggest you do a search for one of our members, OOPS. Send him a Private Message and see if he will give you some advice. I KNOW he has done some Upside Down work in the past. I personally have not. Also another Member, Yacht Doctor, could be of help. They're both pro's and I'm sure will be able to give you all the help you need. Be ready though, they WILL want more pics and descriptions.

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Mr Glass.....she a Bayliner Explorer 22'.......thanks for the info

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your going to have to uncap and do some Serious grinding and glassing..from the inside and outside.

Sorry to say but this is one of those jobs that I feel Too complex of an issue to do over the Inet.

For Personal and Safety issues I cant post on this repair thread.

Is it possible to find another good hull and bad everything else for a transplant ?

Way too much work IMO .. this is Not simple by any means..

YD.

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Dr Yacht.....Yes I do agree....I really opened a can of worms...but today I think I have figured a way to complete her....

* Little history. I paid $400 for the boat, and I have $300 or so invested in TWO volvo aq125 running engines for her. This model explorer is very well liked for her stability and her engine for sippin the fuel....so I am in her for good...(kind of obsessed)

From the inside I can follow the upper side of the keel, there was some rot there too....I want to remove the fuel tank (that is another post yet, I want to cut it out instead of cutting side boards and glass to remove it, I'll be able to fit a more accessable tnak in later). I'll glass the underside keel and re-fill the opening from inside the boat. I know that the keel is important, mostly for strength in transport via trailer....

I appreciate your input...thanks....