JW-10 3hp question

OMCfan

Seaman
00r0r_cHdhP7AUQVm_1200x900.jpg

This motor is for sale and I have never seen one like this where it has the option of running on a remote tank. Is this a home Jerry rig deal or was this a factory option?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some time in the 1960's the 3 hp blocks were equiped with a place to mount an optional fuel pump.---------That set-up looks to be adapted by a Mcguiver.

lindy46

Captain
My 1967 JWF-21 Folder had a fuel pump, and could be run either way. Nice option to have.

OMCfan

Seaman
Thanks fellas. I had never seen this before and I am almost dying of curiosity to see how they rigged it up.

lindy46

Captain
Thanks fellas. I had never seen this before and I am almost dying of curiosity to see how they rigged it up.

Pull the side cover and you will see. Seems like there was a "tee" in the fuel line from the built-in tank to the carb where the line from the fuel pump fed in. Open the valve from the built-in tank and close the valve from the external tank to run off the built-in tank. Do just the opposite to run off the external tank.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Nice looking motor! It looks like a 1st year model, a 1952. The decals look like the original lacquered type. Make sure you run at least 24:1, even if you run synthetic oil. It is a bronze bushed motor and it needs the oil film thickness to keep it from wearing out prematurely. Never leaner. Originally I think they said to use 16:1 but that was with old fashioned straight 30 weight oil.

OMC used to sell an accessory kit that someone here earlier described. It's release coincided with the 1964 models. It allowed you to use the integral tank or a regular non-pressurized single line tank. Using a 6 U.S. (5 Imperial) gallon tank would give you 12 hours of operation at full throttle or 17 hours at a relaxed cruise (whatever that means with 3 horsepower).
OMC 3 Fuel Pump Kit.jpg

Part # 381475 for the complete kit as of 1967. There is an old Evinrude dealer in New Jersey that I have had luck in finding old stuff; Van's or something like that. Now you can search.

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain
Part # 381475 for the complete kit as of 1967. There is an old Evinrude dealer in New Jersey that I have had luck in finding old stuff; Van's or something like that. Now you can search.

Van's is in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and they do have a lot of old Evinrude/Johnson motor parts.