FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
140 hp 1987 Johnson: Trying to reinstale my lower unit. Any suggestions and tricks of the trade will be helpful? Shift rod needs to go in one hole, Driveshaft another, exhaust another all at the same time.The last 2" is the problem. HOW??
Re: "Just won't Go" Lower Unit Install 140 Johnson
Sometimes you have to align the driveshaft splines to the crankshaft.
I usually put the lower unit in forward before I pull it, that way I can rotate the prop to align the splines, then I don't have to have someone rotate the flywheel for me while I install the lower unit.
Re: "Just won't Go" Lower Unit Install 140 Johnson
takes 2 people in a perfect world. If you have the motor tilted then its hard to keep the lower level with the motor while getting everything engaged. At 2 inch's it sounds like the water pipe has missed the pump or like daviet said you need to turn the prop to get it to locate. Mines always a pain to get back on but once you know it does go back on then its just a case of needing 3 hands.
Re: "Just won't Go" Lower Unit Install 140 Johnson
Daviet has it right. Make sure your shift rod is facing forward. I also make sure I lube the exhause plate so it slides up in there easier. Personally, I tilt up my motor ALL THE WAY UP, shift my control unit in forward, then slowly rotate the prop while pushing up from the bottom. You will feel the drive shaft align with the motor and go right in.