Just too hot to boat.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
At least here in the middle of the Carolinas where the highs have been 102-105' every afternoon this week. Good thing a cold front is expected come tonight which should chill things down to 95 or so tomorrow.

Do you go out when it's that hot? I can see maybe for water activities such as skiing, wake boarding, swimming or tubing but not so much "just" to be out on the water. 100 plus in the south is HOT!!

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just too hot to boat.

We have not the last couple of weekends. 90's with high humidity. Boating is no fun when the water is like a warm bath and sweat pouring down your back.

rndn

Commander

Even under a cover it's no fun when it's that hot. Luckily it's going to be in the low to mid 80's here this weekend so I plan to go boating Saturday and Sunday, after church of course.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heat index is 109ish today! Bill you must be around Lake Norman/High Rock? I've got a pontoon to put a system in Saturday morning, I think i'll start on it at 5am to beat the heat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Fishing has been very good as of late even with the Bay temps in the mid-80s. The routine has been up and out on the water by 5 am and back at the dock for some cold ones by noon.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Currently 102 here southeast of Charlotte PondTunes. My trailer has a flat anyway. Had a valve stem separate between the brass and rubber. Must be Chinese made. I worked 10 years at Schrader Automotive and never heard of one of ours failing.
Watch the heat!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Been looking at my boat sitting in the driveway...just too dang hot!

Bill must live near me....I'm in Indian Trail..

Hey PondTunes, Need to get with ya on a stereo problem.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bout 8 miles from Indian Trail near Wesley Chapel.

Waffle

Seaman

Parents live in North Carolina and took their boat from Oriental down the ICWW to Beaufort and back on Wednesday. Said it was plety hot.

It was too hot to work yesterday in Indiana and was too hot for me to boat as well.

wetboy86

Seaman Apprentice

Bill,

yeah its been almost unbareable hot here too near wilmington.
went out in the icww, and banks inlet monday and wed. the water was much cooler than I expected. very nice to float in and have a cold one. get out fairly early so you wont die trying to lanch!

ziggy

Admiral

too hot here too.......i've been out three times in the last week +

at night......much cooler and very pleasent..........that's the plan for the weekend too. at night or maybe a real early start before it's light.......

IMG_1616.jpg

Last edited:

chaparral442

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no choice in South Louisiana- it will bpeg 100 this weekend with heat index higher-- got 2 college kids coming in -one I have not seen all summer and they have laid down the rules for dad-- wakeboard, kneeboard, tube- _ we will go out early-- head for lunch at the marina- find a shady place to beach and cool off and then go again let in the afternoon.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still scalding hot here in the middle of the Carolinas. Hitting just over 100 every day, just under 80 early morning before sunrise. No rain in a couple of months too. Does nothing for fishing. Decided to rebuild my trailer hubs in the meantime.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

At least here in the middle of the Carolinas where the highs have been 102-105' every afternoon this week. Good thing a cold front is expected come tonight which should chill things down to 95 or so tomorrow.

Do you go out when it's that hot? I can see maybe for water activities such as skiing, wake boarding, swimming or tubing but not so much "just" to be out on the water. 100 plus in the south is HOT!!

Being in deep south texas (about 10 miles from the Mexican border) if we didn't boat when it was that hot we'd only have about a 4 month window. We do try to go out at the break of dawn to avoid some of the heat, though.

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We just got our boat,so we are all fired up to go out.We are minutes from lake James and it has been hot, to hot but we went anyways.Nothing like having a new(to us) boat I guess.
I hear some of the lake's in this area are suffering from excessive low water conditions,might be keeping some folks at home as well.

Last edited:

rheyboer

Seaman

Opposite situation for me. Just back from the annual trip to NW Michigan (Empire). We always lose 3 days of boating to bad weather. Friday was almost wind-chill time! 30mph + winds off Lake Michigan combined with highs in the 60's. The small lakes had 3'-4' footers. We did take the boat out for a bit. Soup for lunch to warm up. As in past years most pictures have me in a t-shirt, sweatshirt, and windbreaker. All this caused the water in the big lake to "turn over". Check out the water temps on the link. Upper 30's, and 40's in spots.

Still love the area for the hiking, dunes, and Manitou Islands, and lack of humans. Six days without a stoplight! Now that son (11 y/o) plays golf we have another activity when it blows. It's tough to pull a boat 700+ miles roundtrip and only use one tank of gas on the water. Next year we go South?

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu.michigan/m1.html

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live on Lake Norman and not only is the lake level over five foot down it is too hot. Its cut into my motorcycle riding also. Hotest summer that I can remember.