Just thought I'd share a nice photo.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
8B6600A9-D4F6-4BD9-8EE6-CADDD2C0BD5A.jpeg8B6600A9-D4F6-4BD9-8EE6-CADDD2C0BD5A.jpeg
The flood from the winter storm fortunately the tide went out before the temps dropped; Xmas eve temps dropped to 7*F. Would have been a disaster if all that froze!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
nice can be relative in assessing a picture but here is my folks island house Lopez Island, WA. Only one room actually flooded thus far (on a ground level slab) and forecast is looking favorable. While there are many positives to living that close to the sea there are drawbacks.

1672230555102.png

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Hope they make out ok
They were both at their other two houses in Seattle doing their 'mainland' things. Mysti (stepmom) is there now assessing. We spoke at length last night, I might fly out to help. She has what sounds like a very good contractor. He's from Bulgaria, semi retired, lives there on the island and everything she relayed to me of what their discussions were is exactly what I would be doing. They have had the island house for a couple decades now and finding good help there has been tough. Dad even has tried to get me to move out there, says I could make a killing because no one can find good help.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
that would be about right. it was one of dads friends parents boat. I remember it very vaguely but I do know it was a 60 because it passed down to jack and it was on a couple more boats until both he and dad each bought a 3 cyl 60.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Actually it is likely a 67, as the lower part of the Cowl is Dark, a 66 would have been gray. Me Bad!!!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
this is dad, looks to be shortly after he got back from Saigon. Would have been fishing out of the Jupiter
1673267928740.jpeg

This would be several years later. This boat was a 21 MR that got heavily modified a few years later after a drunken run onto ice at some reservoir in Easter OR. At this stage in its life it had the two 60's that he and uncle jack bought a few years earlier for different boats. Not sure why dad got Jacks, don't remember his next one.

1673268139980.jpeg

And here is the blurb he sent about these two pics. For reference he just turned 80.

The first picture was at Thompson Valley Reservoir. I don't know how Jack and I discovered it, but we did. It was supposed to be a great and under fished fishing lake. And the dead trees sticking all had osprey nests. (Fish Eagles. Must mean fish.) It was just on the east side of the central spine of Oregon - as I recall it - and in the southern quadrant. I guess it also was famous for waterfowl hunting because several years later Doug and I went over there for duck hunting. The reservoir was dry. We weren't. We went to whatever the adjacent little town was and drank a lot. We had planned the trip for several days, and the weather was superb, and our camp site was sublime, so we just replaced shooting with driving to town and drinking. On one of our return trips from drinking to camping we must have both fallen asleep - Doug was driving. We both woke up abruptly as we hurtled backwards off the raised road bed onto the desert floor. As it turned out nobody and nothing were harmed, so we drove down the desert to where we could get back on the road and went back to camp. I had found a large outburst of shaggy mane mushrooms, so we had a nice side dish to whatever it was we must have cooked and eaten. Unfortunately, I have a lot more stories like this accumulated over the first forty years of my life

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looking at an Aerial Photo from 2021, that Reservoir has really dried up