Just how strong is 5200

travish

Cadet
Is there any chance that 3M 5200 is permanent enough to mount a leaning post without any screws. I purchased a leaning post/livewell combination (it is all fiberglass about 38" square) and I don't want any more screws thru the floor of my boat. If I 3M the entire perimeter would it be strong enough?

Thanks
Travis

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Just how strong is 5200

No. 5200 is really more of a caulking material. it stays flexible even when cured and is not designed for structural applications. however you shouldn't be affraid to drill mounting harware into the floor of the boat, unless of course they would pass through the hull. in fact, that's really what 5200 is designed for. just fill the predrilled holes with 5200 then install the mounting screws and wipe away any excess 5200, then run a bead of 5200 around the base of the livewell along the floor and you should be ok. I suppose you could fiberglass it into place, if you wanted, but good solid STAINLESS STEEL screws sealed with 5200 should be plenty strong.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you want a PERMANENT attachment...... you might consider some epoxy and cloth (tabs) and you will not have any problems. Yes, 3m5200 is a permanent polyurethane sealant .....in theory it would work but it is not suggested for something to lean on. The epoxy will hod it.

travish

Cadet

The leaning post has a lip with a really large radius at the bottom so there is not a good way to screw it down. I guess it is meant to be glassed down.

Thanks Guys

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would use epoxy resin which cost's more money however, will absolutely be strong enough to be safe.

JohnnyFire

Seaman Apprentice

If i may point out i recently worked on a commercial lobster boat and well the capt wasnt much of a handy man and didnt want to drill any more holes in his roof so he used 5200 to mount his 2 vhf ant, 2 radars, and a 3ft sq 4ft tall s/s cage for his life raft and its been there since 1986 his epirb fell out because it was screwed in.

Just my 0.02

kfa4303

Banned

Of course he wasn't leaning on the radio and radars while underway (I hope?). sounds like you may have to glass it in place if you want it to be strong enough to lean on. not to worry. there are plety of posts and threads here to deal with that sort of thing. keep us posted,. good luck.

travish

Cadet

Problem solved, I glassed it in tonight.

Thanks
Travis

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Got pics ? You know..so others can see how you did it for future referance ..

YD.