Just got a GS-201

I just got a GS-201 and Im looking for a full cover. One that is made of the really thick stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations.

Re: Just got a GS-201

WP_000709.jpg

Here she is. Its a 2004 GS-201. Has a brand new trailer. I also picked up a Humminbird 597ci HD DI plotter/Fish Finder for it. Its got a Minnkota Pontoon54 Trolling motor. I dont think this trolling motor is big enough, but we will find out. As long as it moves it, i will be happy. Its been raining solid all weekend so I havnt had a chance to take her out yet. Maybe this weekend the weather will cooperate. Anyway I have work to do on it. So I got a set of Tie Downs im going to install. I also have to install the Huminbird. I also got an on board charger that I need to install. So It looks like today will be a busy day.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I can install the On Board Charger? I havnt looked for a spot yet, but im sure there are others who have them. Let me know what you did.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 2008 FD202GS and my on-board charger is in the battery compartment (mounted on the aft bay wall). I have it hooked up for a two deep cycle battery set-up (in series) for a 24V trolling motor. I use a Guest dual 1, 2 or both switch. After a day on the water I just open the battery compartment & plug er' in.

Congrats on the boat!

I got a quote on a cover today. Its made of the best heavy duty marine grade Canvas, custom fit to the boat by a local cover man.

$1250.00, ****, let me pick my wallet up off the floor. lol gotta be a cheaper solution. Does this sound about right? Seems like 200% too high to me, at least. But i have no clue.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is probably not a bad price for a custom cover. I was quoted $1400 for my SD 217 by a local gal using Sunbrella fabric. It was a little too high for me, so I went with an Endura Cover that I bought right here from IBoats. I've been very happy with the Endura cover. It cost around $450 on sale, and was a custom fit design for my boat, so the fit was excellent except that they didn't make allowance for the optional ski pylon that we had added. I had the cover modified to accomidate the ski pylon for $50 locally, and now the fit is perfect. I don't remember what fabric the Endura cover uses, but it is not thick. It did come with a 5 year warranty. In fact, it is fairly thin and light weight, but is waterproof, but breathable (you definitely want a breathable cover to help prevent mold.....that is why you can't just strap down a tarp).

A custom made cover is ideal, because you can get it to come down lower on the sides, or however long or short you want it. My one complaint with the Endura cover is that is comes just past the rub rail, but no further. You might want to go through the list of covers here on IBoats site to see if they have a custom cover for your boat.

six50joe

Seaman Apprentice

I got a quote on a cover today. Its made of the best heavy duty marine grade Canvas, custom fit to the boat by a local cover man.

$1250.00, ****, let me pick my wallet up off the floor. lol gotta be a cheaper solution. Does this sound about right? Seems like 200% too high to me, at least. But i have no clue.

I've got a 1998 GS201, original cover. It's so fragile it will rip like paper if I get careless.... I'm in the same boat as you though, bought the boat in 2008 and don't want to part with that much $$$ for a new cover, so making do and treating the old one gingerly. It's already ripped around 6 or 7 of the snaps, but still performs its function fine.