Just don't matter to most here, but

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Just don't matter to most here, but

Boomyal, yes I read the link but all I saw was a blanket statement without any follow up facts. I look at the countries that have implemented a VAT or GST and see them booming (not including Europe, trying to make 50 countries into one is a recipe for disaster). In Australia we got money to burn - all raised by the GST. Roads get built without the usual b*tchin' & moaning by the politicians, hospitals get badly needed funds, infrastruture in general is getting a badly needed leg up. These are all facts - not politically motivated retoric as most media tend to be these days.<br /><br />Quote by Boomyal:<br />{"A national sales tax, which I consider a good idea, is simply added on at the point of retail. It is up front, easy to see, difficult to secretly manipulate and is very easy to exclude certain types of products and services that are deemed to be tax free. But I might add, that it would never fly here unless the income tax and the IRS were done away with."}<br /><br />Now that quote I agree with BUT thats exactly what our GST gives us. The vast majority of other taxes have been done away with, income tax has been streamlined. The transparency of the system is what makes it work - ask the Canadians, they were very sceptical when their GST was introduced (caused a lot of political turmoil) but I believe now that their economy is in very good shape - largely due to the GST.<br /><br />Maybe my terminology is'nt correct, VAT & GST are similar but not exactly the same, different countries play around with 'equalisation taxes' and 'rebates' etc. but essentially the New Zealand tax system is what has proven to be the best (so far) taxation model. Australia & Canada have used the NZ system as a template.<br /><br />As I said earlier, I am involved in our tax system on a daily basis, it is basically as you describe (tax calculated, not added, at every stage of handling). It is very transparent & fair. If you wish I can give more specific details.<br /><br />Aldo

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB is right, ret and snapper, if you were somehow to cut all the stupid waste from gov't, it probably wouldn't do anything but make you feel better. Not to totally slam you guys, but the gov't boys' salary isn't that big, and the other programs, even though big bucks to anyone, arn't much. <br />I like what Russia went to, (a flat tax) they have turned their economy around. Only problem is, what are the tax atty's going to do? In my business, I deal with people trying to avoid taxes upon sale of their real estate. I deal with accountants and atty's every day to help people keep their $.<br />GOP or DEMS probably doesn't make much difference. Security, war, and social giveaways are the problems, don't see much changing anytime soon.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

P.S.<br />Enough about taxes, what do you guys think of Ron Artest getting banned from the NBA for the balance of the season?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well then, DR, we agree! :D Your GST=National retail sales tax (a good thing) not Value Added Tax (a bad thing) Besides, just about anything Hillary Clinton is for, you wouldn't want to touch with the proverbial ten foot pole.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

GST is brilliant.<br />Every person in our society pays the same rate of tax on everything they buy (except certain foods).<br />The wealthy can no longer avoid tax like they use to, because they too spend, and when you spend, you "consume" and when you consume, you pay Tax.<br />The Bludgers in society that collected Social Welfare Benefits and paid no tax, and winged and *****ed, now pay Tax at the same rate as every body else.<br />The Black Market economy is now paying tax. eg, if you do a job for me for cash to avoid the Tax, you end up paying the tax on it when you spend it. That means it is not always clever to do cash jobs, cause the clown at the very end of the chain pays the Tax. I won't pay you cash either, as I can't claim back the credit.<br />All profits from illegal "things" gets taxed when the money is spent.<br />I deal with it every day in my busines. Very easy to administer.<br />Best thing about it, every body now pays their share........and that did not always happen before. <br />Now, no one can dodge it. The more you spend, the more you pay.<br />I love Taxes. In return I get free Health Care, Free Education, great roads and Utilities and the list goes on. All I pay is a small percentage of my Net Income.<br />With GST, all the dodgers at the top to the bludgers at the bottom pay along with me at the same rate.<br />The Kiwis have the best system.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip