Just brought my first boat home!

ryan71383

Cadet
Hey guys, I am a complete rookie to boats. I just brought home a 15' Rinkerbuilt fiberglass speedboat with a 100hp OB. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the year. On the registration under HIN all it has is 27368. It was dark last night so I wasn't able to find anything on the boat itself. The plan is to completely gut the interior and start from scratch. It should be interesting. Thanks for your time. Can't seem to get pics small enough to attach.

ryan71383

Cadet
Re: Just brought my first boat home!

Here's some pics.

Attachments

• camera-256.jpg
    camera-256.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 0
  • camera-257.jpg
    camera-257.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • camera-258.jpg
    camera-258.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • camera-260.jpg
    camera-260.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • camera-261.jpg
    camera-261.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

The last 2 numbers are the year built.

Nice boat. It reminds me of my first one, but all I had to do was major cleaning, some paint and add motor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well it will certainly need a complete refit wood-wise but it's a nice looking hull. Does the motor run? If so, that's going to be great power for that boat. My uncle had a Rinkerbuilt from '78-'95 and it was a great boat.

ryan71383

Cadet

Thanks guys. Ezmobe- I believe after a good going through the motor will be fine, a buddy took a look at it and thinks the same but we'll see. Hopefully I can get it gutted this weekend and see where to get started. Does any know where to look on the motor to find the year on it? Thanks again for the info.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats and welcome to iboats. I started a resto project about a month ago, and the guys on these boards are a wealth of knowledge. You have some work ahead of you, but it should be a great experience. Best of luck and I look forward to watching your progress.

BTW, it's kind of hard to tell from the pic, but is that looks like a Merc hangin off the back. If so, try this link to identify

http://www.maxrules.com/Merc_model_files/60-100.html

Andy in NY

Commander

Hey guys, I am a complete rookie to boats. I just brought home a 15' Rinkerbuilt fiberglass speedboat with a 100hp OB. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the year. On the registration under HIN all it has is 27368. It was dark last night so I wasn't able to find anything on the boat itself. The plan is to completely gut the interior and start from scratch. It should be interesting. Thanks for your time. Can't seem to get pics small enough to attach.

its definatly older than 73... that was when boat mfg's were required to have a HIN. that number you have is a serial number. that is what my boat is registered under.

it doesnt nesicarily dictate that the last 2 num are 68 that makes it the year it was made... last 2 on mine are 54... but its a 1970.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello and welcome. I too just started a restoration about a month ago of a 1957 Red Fish. I knew nothing about restoring an old boat, but by looking a reading a lot, I've gain tons of information and confidence for my project. The people on this forum are excellent and a gold mine of knowledge.

Here is the link to my project: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=343151 I've been spending the last couple of days tracking down someone local that can replate my chrome pieces.

Good luck with your project. Looks like a cool boat.

ryan71383

Cadet

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has built a mobile dolly for their boat. My trailer is too long to fit in the garage and also put the car in for the winter. I was hoping to build a frame out of lumber with casters on the bottom to slide the boat onto from the trailer to be able to start working on the restore. Thanks for all the great advice for a noob!

tallcanadian

Captain

If you have a HIN number on the boat, standing looking at the transom, it will be at the top right of the transom. Great looking boat, by the way.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

welcome to your new addiction . It starts as one project and then when it's done you will find another boat and eventually people will start giving you old boats that are 2 good to turn down. I hope your wife is as understanding as mine is. It's a great hobby and you have come to a great place for info. These guys on here are a wealth of knowledge fiberglass ,paint and motor tech. I'm on my eighth boat in 5yrs .