Just bought new boat, trouble first time out. Please help.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
???----When an outboard like that stops running all the water ( vinegar mix ) will drain out !
Maybe if you block the tell tail with some tape it will stay in there as air can't get in to replace the solution?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope----Blocking the tell tale does not help.----Motor will still drain !!

KABAR

Cadet
I will do the vinegar and water... my son asked what about using CLR ? I told him I would ask.. lol thank you

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I will do the vinegar and water... my son asked what about using CLR ? I told him I would ask.. lol thank you
Both are Mild Acids, Pickling Vinegar is Stronger than Reg 7% vs. 5%, however, even mild Acids will eat Metal. And as Racer said, it is not going to stay in the Block.

Pull the Heads, and actually look, also remove the Water Jacket Covers on the Heads, and Clean them as well.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hardy Bulletproof... They are well known for Piston Ring Problems
you obviously had a problem with one breaking a ring land , yes that was common when people run them low on fuel and leaned them out .
as posted the 3 things that will kill them "" running lean is one of them"""..

rings on any 2 smoke will cook if you run them lean .

iv had many of these motors and other 2 smokes that have died from the same fate through my hands most have been broken by the owners "" user error "" and its just that.
running the tank low at full throttle ,or tank runs out of fuel @WOT (worst thing that can happen to a 2 smoke), engine runs lean > a few outings later after you already have a broken ring land or cracked ring , ,ring snaps and its all over .

? would you like to see pics of burned up cylinders where motor has ran lean or low on oil in the tank , oil or fuel has been replenished but damage was already done.

anyway , that said ,with your condescending post , i hope you have learned something from my reply .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Broken rings is the most common reason for these motors to be put to rest.----I do not have enuff fingers and toes to count them in my storage for parts / rebuild.-----The design of the top piston ring is the issue.----I estimate that 9 out of 10 will suffer from this disease !!

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Broken rings is the most common reason for these motors to be put to rest.----I do not have enuff fingers and toes to count them in my storage for parts / rebuild.-----The design of the top piston ring is the issue.----I estimate that 9 out of 10 will suffer from this disease !!
135 and other 2.0 V6 mercs also had the same issue with the rings , its to do with piston speeds and not enough fuel.
we did some research years ago well before the internet as to why these V4s and the 2.0 mercs broke rings and concluded it was caused """for the most part"" the user error as i posted above.
they simply don't like running out of fuel under load.

FWIW , years ago for something to do the boys and i at the shop decided to see how long it would take to kill a older 85 johnno V4 running WOT under optimal conditions IE: correct oil ratio , proper cooling , lid on, etc the thing lasted ages ,it got so annoying it was suggested to remove a plug lead , it still ran on , it eventually died / slowed down as it began to run out of fuel,
:) it started again the next day but was not happy.

KABAR

Cadet
Man for someone wanting to fish and enjoy a boat doing it , after hearing all of these things almost makes me regret getting one. Lol

KABAR

Cadet
Man for someone wanting to fish and enjoy a boat doing it , after hearing all of these things almost makes me regret getting one. Lol thank you for letting me know all of this and what to look for and how to take care of it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The V-4 90 is a sound design , except for the top piston ring.---Very good durable gearcase.-----Do a compression test for now and future reference.-------Rebuild it with Wiseco pistons if needed and use it for another 20 years.----Better than a 4 stroke as far as maintenance.----Notice all the 4 strokes that suffer from water getting into the engine oil sump !-----Did a compression test on a low hr 1990 model 100 HP a few weeks ago 135 / 130 PSI shown on my trusty gauge.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Man for someone wanting to fish and enjoy a boat doing it , after hearing all of these things almost makes me regret getting one. Lol
no need to stress , yhey are good solid motors ,
The V-4 90 is a sound design , except for the top piston ring.---Very good durable gearcase.-----Do a compression test for now and future reference.-------Rebuild it with Wiseco pistons if needed and use it for another 20 years.----Better than a 4 stroke as far as maintenance.----Notice all the 4 strokes that suffer from water getting into the engine oil sump !-----Did a compression test on a low hr 1990 model 100 HP a few weeks ago 135 / 130 PSI shown on my trusty gauge.
ha ha , i used to just rebuild them with used piston and rod from a scrap motor and they would run on for years.
i still have shelves of spares for V4s " free to good home if anyone wants them "'.

KABAR

Cadet
I did a compression test on the motor all 4 are pretty close to the same reading

Attachments

• 20230910_160124.jpg
    20230910_160124.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230910_160002.jpg
    20230910_160002.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230910_155827.jpg
    20230910_155827.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230910_155515.jpg
    20230910_155515.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I did a compression test on the motor all 4 are pretty close to the same reading
looks ok to me , even is good ,those cheap pressure gauges do not always read correctly so the actual numbers don't mean that much so long as they are even as yours are.
keep those numbers for reference after a few months run time.

? did you get the vinegar solution done yet.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
re. danger of "lean running": if reference is to the air/fuel mix -- adjust for best operation using the needle and spring assembly on the carb face (see manual for adjustment specs.) If the air mix is too lean (not enough fuel) the engine will stall or refuse to start. If too rich, the engine will flood.

If reference to lean is to oil, damage can indeed occur from too little oil.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
you obviously had a problem with one breaking a ring land , yes that was common when people run them low on fuel and leaned them out .
as posted the 3 things that will kill them "" running lean is one of them"""..

rings on any 2 smoke will cook if you run them lean .

iv had many of these motors and other 2 smokes that have died from the same fate through my hands most have been broken by the owners "" user error "" and its just that.
running the tank low at full throttle ,or tank runs out of fuel @WOT (worst thing that can happen to a 2 smoke), engine runs lean > a few outings later after you already have a broken ring land or cracked ring , ,ring snaps and its all over .

? would you like to see pics of burned up cylinders where motor has ran lean or low on oil in the tank , oil or fuel has been replenished but damage was already done.

anyway , that said ,with your condescending post , i hope you have learned something from my reply .
Running low on fuel does not hurt the engine. Common misconception there

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Neighbors pontoon motor was doing the same thing. I cheched it over but with it being an injected motor, i'm old school. Couldn't figure it out, the telltale was pumping strong. He took it to a dealer, they changed the impeller. Problem solved. Who knew? Old dog learning new things.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post #34-----If those are the compression numbers with good gauge , then the motor needs work !

Last edited: