Just bought new boat, trouble first time out. Please help.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Running low on fuel does not hurt the engine. Common misconception there
please explain where you got this fact from. it should be an interesting read .

keep in mind when you are giving the facts that everyone who knows any thing knows that 2 strokes and diesel motors need " fuel and oil " not just oil to lubricate but also to cool cylinders , pistons rings and other internal engine components , hence air fuel ratios need to be correct or close to so motors don't explode.

a four stroke does not need fuel to lubricate as it has these amazing devices called "oil rings". however it does need fuel to cool things so as valves and piston heads don't melt from lean fuel air ratio.

also , and here is the kicker , all internal combustion motors need to burn some sort of fuel to run.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Well it's called common sense and history. How many engines have just run out of fuel while they are skiing or just cruising along. Maybe tubing or just having fun with the family and forget to change the tanks. Maybe a broken gas gauge? How many chainsaws or gas trimmers have been run out of gas and are just fine. I guess common sense isn't common anymore. You should really read up on what happens when an engine runs out of fuel. And if running out of gas was so detrimental to a 2 strk. Why don't chainsaws have gas gauges?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have never seen a warning in an owners manual / service manual or label on a portable tank about running out of fuel.----Agreed that common sense has gone and left us..----Folks just rely on their phone to survive I think.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have never seen a warning in an owners manual / service manual or label on a portable tank about running out of fuel.----Agreed that common sense has gone and left us..----Folks just rely on their phone to survive I think.
looks that way doesn't it .

i for one are not talking about every motor that runs out of fuel could be damaged , some motors can be damaged ,included in that statement is the motor the OP has.
its a know fact that these motors suffer from the top ring breaking the land.
since you seem to think you know everything about everything without google,? can you please share your knowledge with the masses as to why this happens.

try telling my mate that builds and races top fuel dragsters that running out of fuel will not explode the motor and that he should put a sticker on each motor to inform the blokes that buy them not to allow the motor to run out out fuel.

I'm out .

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
looks that way doesn't it .

i for one are not talking about every motor that runs out of fuel could be damaged , some motors can be damaged ,included in that statement is the motor the OP has.

try telling my mate that builds and races top fuel dragsters that running out of fuel will not explode

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Draw a picture of the top piston ring.-----Now consider what happens to side clearance when.----piston wears.----when ring wears.----when cylinder wears !!!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Thank you .. It's got a separate tank for oil. I made sure it's full before starting. So your saying that I should run like the old Motors and put oil in the gas tank. I am at work right now so I don't have the model number but will get it. I have not done anything to the motor yet.
The last sentence is the problem.....when getting a new to you motor, there is a checklist to go over before it goes in the water. First on that list is to replace the water pump unless you know for sure it has been done recently. Next is to change the lower unit lube to check for water intrusion and fill with fresh new lube. Ull the prip and check for fishing line wrapped around the shaft and make sure no seals are leaking. Check fuel lines for cracks, check the squeeze ball for cracks because fuel fires on boats can be a really big dissaster !! Check all filters and pull spark plugs, replace where needed. A compression test should have been done before purchase. Now that you know, start again and do it the right way...good luck and congrats on the new toy, however...pics are a must when we get new toys !! lol..

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Draw a picture of the top piston ring.-----Now consider what happens to side clearance when.----piston wears.----when ring wears.----when cylinder wears !!!

Draw a picture of the top piston ring.-----Now consider what happens to side clearance when.----piston wears.----when ring wears.----when cylinder wears

your obviously not as clever as me when it come to understanding why engines break .
so i will help you out with this link to help get you with the program.
hope it helps .

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
your obviously not as me clever when it come to understanding why engines break .
so i will help you out with this link to help get you with the program.
That's how you tell people you have no clue without saying it out loud. You think running out of fuel is the same as running lean. You also have no clue whatsoever about the top ring on the OMC crossflow engines.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That's how you tell people you have no clue without saying it out loud. You think running out of fuel is the same as running lean. You also have no clue whatsoever about the top ring on the OMC crossflow engines.
you did see where the link come from .
it was not from some waste of space you tube vid.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
you did see where the link come from .
it was not from some waste of space you tube vid.
I saw it and my point stands. Your lack of knowledge is showing. That is not the gotcha you think it is. Like I said tell yourself what you want. The facts don't support you. This is the last I am going to comment. I don't have the time or patience for your lack of Knowledge.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I saw it and my point stands. Your lack of knowledge is showing. That is not the gotcha you think it is. Like I said tell yourself what you want. The facts don't support you. This is the last I am going to comment. I don't have the time or patience for your lack of Knowledge.
and i yours either.

Attachments

• WP_20230919_12_26_04_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20230919_12_26_04_Pro[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have rebuilt numerous crossflow V-4 and V-6 outboards.----I know they suffer from the broken ring syndrome.----It is easy to understand why the upper ring breaks !!

KABAR

Cadet
looks ok to me , even is good ,those cheap pressure gauges do not always read correctly so the actual numbers don't mean that much so long as they are even as yours are.
keep those numbers for reference after a few months run time.

? did you get the vinegar solution done yet.

Attachments

• 20230910_160124.jpg
    20230910_160124.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230910_160124.jpg
    20230910_160124.jpg
  • 20230910_155827.jpg
    20230910_155827.jpg
  • 20230910_155827.jpg
    20230910_155827.jpg
  • 20230910_155515.jpg
    20230910_155515.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1

KABAR

Cadet
Not yet. Going to this weekend. I was waiting for my son to come over and help change thermostats then do the solutions. I've got everything. Thank you for your help