Just bought new boat, trouble first time out. Please help.

KABAR

Cadet
I have a 95, Evinrude 90hp. It started and ran great but after a couple minutes a constant alarm went off and stayed on. Had water going out of the peehole, not great like a new boat but coming out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
First of all, welcome to the new boat. They seem to know it is the first trip, and do their best to cause trouble.

Usually a solid alarm is overheat. Did you rebuild the waterpump before use? You might inspect/replace the thermostats as well.

A '95 90HP 'rude should be a 90* or 60* V4, 2 cycle engine. It will have oil injection, which could be disabled or failing. If you are unsure if the oil injections is working, you should run the motor on a 50::1 premix fuel supply until it is sorted out.

A model number would help us.

KABAR

Cadet
Thank you .. It's got a separate tank for oil. I made sure it's full before starting. So your saying that I should run like the old Motors and put oil in the gas tank. I am at work right now so I don't have the model number but will get it. I have not done anything to the motor yet.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need to be sure that the oil injection is in service or bypassed by a previous owner.-----Need to mix at 50:1 until you verify that system is indeed working properly.----Water going out the pee hole on some motors indicates that water pump is working.----But it does not mean that motor is cooling properly.----Post actual compression values here.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you .. It's got a separate tank for oil. I made sure it's full before starting. So your saying that I should run like the old Motors and put oil in the gas tank. I am at work right now so I don't have the model number but will get it. I have not done anything to the motor yet.
Before you use a gas oil mix you have to make sure the oil injection is disabled, otherwise you will get too much oil. That wouldn't really hurt the engine but would create a lot of smoke and foul up the spark plugs. Did you continue to run the motor with the alarm going? As stated, a new impeller is the first place to start. Good luck!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To amplify Racer's point, my '59 Fat Fifty had points/magneto ignition and ran on a 24::1 mixture. In those days, we also ran last year's fuel in the spring, without any stabilizer (not invented) and I am sure the ratio was much lower due to evaporation of the gasoline all winter. It made more smoke, but it ran fine.

My chainsaw runs on a 16::1 mix. If you foul a spark plug, you have other issues.

KABAR

Cadet
Before you use a gas oil mix you have to make sure the oil injection is disabled, otherwise you will get too much oil. That wouldn't really hurt the engine but would create a lot of smoke and foul up the spark plugs. Did you continue to run the motor with the alarm going? As stated, a new impeller is the first place to start. Good luck!
Not far since I didn't know what the alarm was for. Just in a circle and came back to the dock. I bought a waterpump rebuild kit. Waiting for it to show up. Spark plugs are new only ran at the dock and in the circle maybe (1/2 mile) to see if it would go off.

KABAR

Cadet
First of all, welcome to the new boat. They seem to know it is the first trip, and do their best to cause trouble.

Usually a solid alarm is overheat. Did you rebuild the waterpump before use? You might inspect/replace the thermostats as well.

A '95 90HP 'rude should be a 90* or 60* V4, 2 cycle engine. It will have oil injection, which could be disabled or failing. If you are unsure if the oil injections is working, you should run the motor on a 50::1 premix fuel supply until it is sorted out.

Attachments

• 20230906_175845.jpg
    20230906_175845.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230906_180022.jpg
    20230906_180022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is a crossflow engine.-----Step #1 is a compression test.--Post the actual values here.-------The water from the tell tale does not go through the block !!----There could be internal blockage.-----Look into an item called a " water diverter"----There are 4 of them.-----Cylinder heads must be taken off to inspect / replace them.

KABAR

Cadet
That is a crossflow engine.-----Step #1 is a compression test.--Post the actual values here.-------The water from the tell tale does not go through the block !!----There could be internal blockage.-----Look into an item called a " water diverter"----There are 4 of them.-----Cylinder heads must be taken off to inspect / replace them.
Ok thank you

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
salt water motor? Water passaged could be blocked with salt build-up, but opening them up takes special care with a salty.

KABAR

Cadet

Attachments

• 20230906_175845.jpg
    20230906_175845.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230906_180022.jpg
    20230906_180022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
before you go taking the motor to bits remove the thermostats and clean them , from memory 4 3/8 screws and a couple of hoses to get the cover off and you can inspect the thermostats.

take the gearbox off and inspect the impeller before using the boat again, it the impeller is still serviceable you can always stick it back together and wait the new parts to arrive.

if you can get access to a flushing tub??? , a few liters of white vinegar in the tub diluted with water and running the motor will loosen / eat any crud around the water jackets.

don't run the motor till you get the issue fixed , these motors are Bullitt proof , but 3 things will kill them #1 running without oil , #2 running without water ,#3 running lean.

KABAR

Cadet
before you go taking the motor to bits remove the thermostats and clean them , from memory 4 3/8 screws and a couple of hoses to get the cover off and you can inspect the thermostats.

take the gearbox off and inspect the impeller before using the boat again, it the impeller is still serviceable you can always stick it back together and wait the new parts to arrive.

if you can get access to a flushing tub??? , a few liters of white vinegar in the tub diluted with water and running the motor will loosen / eat any crud around the water jackets.

don't run the motor till you get the issue fixed , these motors are Bullitt proof , but 3 things will kill them #1 running without oil , #2 running without water ,#3 running lean.
Ok , thank you for your advice. I'm new to all of this so watching YouTube is my new best friend. Lol I already ordered the thermostat rebuild kit and should be here in the next day or two. I have a Rubbermaid trashcan that I can use if that's what your referring to. Put a few liters of white vinegar and fill with water and run the motor to clean out the water system and lines.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok , thank you for your advice. I'm new to all of this so watching YouTube is my new best friend. Lol I already ordered the thermostat rebuild kit and should be here in the next day or two. I have a Rubbermaid trashcan that I can use if that's what your referring to. Put a few liters of white vinegar and fill with water and run the motor to clean out the water system and lines.
Let the vinegar solution sit in the motor for a few hours.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----When an outboard like that stops running all the water ( vinegar mix ) will drain out !

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
as per post #2

you may want to inspect/replace the impeller anyway and while the GC is down and out run your vinegar solution up the water tube with a small DC pump. remove the thermostat/replace cover while doing so....

and check the thermostat operation in hot water around 140-150F
it should open up. replace after the flushing but.... nothing works better than removing the cyl head and doing some scrapping around cyl walls and the cyl head itself. Carefull with head bolts !!!

up to you ....