Just bought a 90 hp yam 1999 2-stroke

BugEyes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
80
Actually I bought a boat and it came with it.<br />I'd like to know if there is any known issues with this mill or anything else I should know about it.<br />I havn't even run it yet, bought the boat and motor on dry icy land and I'm now waiting for the ice to thaw on the water so that I can use it.<br />Gear oil have been changed and that's all I know.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: Just bought a 90 hp yam 1999 2-stroke

Well, I guess when you're asking about known problems, no news is good news. :) Good motors, reliable, not the strongest 90 of the time, but still nice. I rebuild the water pump, change the sparkplugs, and change the gearlube on used motors I buy. Sounds like the gearlube has been handled. It's also a good idea to pull the prop and check for fishline on the shaft that can damage the seal.
 

BugEyes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
80
Re: Just bought a 90 hp yam 1999 2-stroke

Thank's<br /><br />Will rebuild the pump just to know what is there.<br />No marks on the prop or lower unit to indicate bottom contact.<br />Will put in a fresh set of plugs and keep these as backup.<br />Checked under the cover for signs of overheat but found non.<br />Ordered the Clymer manual today so that I can service it properly.
 
Top