Just bought a '74 Glastron-Carlson CV16 Super

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I just got a Carlson CV16 Super with no motor and no seats for $500! It has an updated single cable steering and new transom wood installed. This guy bought it without the motor and took the seats out to have them recovered when he was evicted from his rental home.....he lost the seats but was able to get the boat!

Now he lives in an apartment and can't store the boat.....:D

It's now mine!!! Metalflake Green and White! So I'll be replacing the carpet and building custom seats.........any ideas?

I also found a Mercury 150 O/B on another boat for $400......I'm getting that one to put the motor and controls onto my CV16.......then I'll sell that one for $150 or so for someone else to build!

Happy Birthday to me!

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just bought a '74 Glastron-Carlson CV16 Super

I'll post better pictures when I get it home tomorrow!

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

is there a special club for Glastron owners?

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like the start to a good new restoration. Glastron owners club? Hmm, not sure but I keep forgetting this sub-forum is on here for us Glastron Owners.

TJShag13

Seaman Apprentice

Nice looking project! There is a great Glaston site called classic glastron owners association (google it) with a wealth of knowledge on glastrons! Good luck!

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

classicglastron.com

Good to see another old Glastron being saved.I got a CVX20 Sprint last year.Love the lines of them.They look like they're 20 years newer than they are.

Cheers
Chris

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got it home today and it looks like it's actually a CV16 S/S that has been cut and refitted for an outboard! I'm going to leave it for an outboard and just reinforce the transom through the floor and keel and then do some custom fiberglassing on the transom pan/drain! Found a typical soft spot right where the I/O use to mount! The people who did the refit to an outboard didn't do very well covering the aft part of the floor....the rest is solid so I'll have minimal floor repair before I start sealing it and putting carpet down.......some glass work all over to make it perfect along with the custom fiberglass work around the transom and we'll be ready for paint within the week!!!

I found a Mercury 150hp Outboard with controls for $500 with two S/S Props.........it will breathe shortly as well!

All I need now is some custom seating. I'm thinking about back-to-back solid bench seating like in the old Zip boats.........what do you think about that?

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I'll do the wrap around back-to-back bucket seating so we can walk down the middle.......

Anyone have some plans that I can copy for building the plywood frames so that I can make some custom cushions?

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

and I went to classicglastron.com and joined up.....problem is, not too many people that sit around and discuss this kind of stuff like here at iboats.com!

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on your find, nice cv16 a `74!
To bad the p/o took out the i/o.
Has it been out in the rain sometime, uncovered, check for water under the floor if you can, there is floatation foam in these boats that holds water and will never dry out, beside that it adds big weight to the boat if it is so.
I ve had a `73, rebuild it but sold it some years ago.
good luck.

Attachments

• DSCF0069.JPG
    DSCF0069.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 0

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm heading up to Denver in the morning to pick up an '84 Merc 150hp with hydraulic T/T for $500......so I'm paying $400 more for the motor than I did for the boat! :D

So far, I'll have $600 invested in the boat/trailer/motor.........

Now I need to rip out the floor and the soggy foam, repair/replace, then put some new carpet down and get ready for the seats/interior work so that I can paint it! Should be ready for the water by May. :cool:

I'm figuring another $600 and I'll be ready for paint.......MAYBE $200 for the paint I need and I'm done......

I'll post pics when I'm back with the motor and when I start ripping the floor up......

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have some plans that I can copy for building the plywood frames so that I can make some custom cushions?

I have this sketch drawing for you.
I got it from cgoa some time ago and there were some pictures also, search for "seats" on the forum and youll get there.
A 150 tower of power will get her up to some 50mph I guess :)
Good luck !

Attachments

• GT16020Seat20Pattern.jpg
    GT16020Seat20Pattern.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1051.jpg
    DSC_1051.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_1052.jpg
    DSC_1052.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_2442.jpg
    DSC_2442.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Frank, that drawing gets me started......

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

picked up the motor today......turns out to be a '76 Merc 1500 so it will have between 115-125hp at the prop!

Looks good too:

Paul003.jpg

Paul009.jpg

Paul011.jpg

Paul012.jpg

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Hi,

I just checked out your "new" boat and motor combo! I agree, that glastron does have pretty sweet lines! It should haul. Just keep an eye on that transom...obviously a custom build with no ratings!

Good luck on your project,

Mas

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks MAS.....need to charge up my DEEP Cycle battery and I'll be completing my install tomorrow!

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I've been busy!!!

Built a motor stand and took the 1500 Merc off and rebuilt the carbs, Made an entire electricla harness from motor to Push-to-choke ignition mounted in the dash.

Now I'm building the splashweel and reinforcing the transom. I've ripped out most of the transom from the inside and replaced it with new wood. I've reinforced the bottom half from the inside with a 2x12 that was soaked in Fiberglass Resin. And I've added 3 inches to the top of my transom with Oak.....I'm still working on it, but here's some pictures:

BEFORE:
Boat072.jpg

AFTER:
Boat078.jpg

Boat077.jpg

Boat076.jpg

Boat070.jpg

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

The filler used is a real wood based filler that is sandable and stainable. I'm using it to build up around where the old plug was. Next I'll be using a Fiberglass strand epoxy filler across the entire transom and then sand down smooth..........find my low spots, add a little more here and there, and sand some more. I'm going to build it up about 1/8" thick over the course.

Until then I'm looking for some injectable epoxy to fill all of the screw holes from everything I've worked on and everything that was screwed to the transom at one time or another. I pulled 14 screws out that had been painted over!

when the transom is done, it's time to glass in the splashwell. I'm using a 6 ounce woven cloth for strength, durability, and smoothness along with the best Boat Resin money can buy......I'll keep you posted!

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some photos of the transom from the inside?