Jumping in feet first with repairs..

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Jumping in feet first with repairs..

No offense, but the transom goes below the deck all the way to the bottom of the hull and all the way across the back of the boat and is usually attached to the stringers. Not sure how you can replace it with out removing at least a portion of the deck.

No offense taken. If you look at the last pic above..I'm replacing the deck back to the flotation (?) boxes on either side of the bilge well. The deck under those is solid. so if I end up doing the transom, the end of the stringers is already pretty much exposed. I should be good as far as access..."fingers crossed".

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just a quick update. It rained here for most of the month of June which put me way behind. I wasn't going to grind the old fiberglass out in my garage so I had to wait until we had decent weather.
Almost done the grinding.

viewFile.html

New bulk heads installed.

viewFile.html

Front part of the floor. I used 1/2 pressure treated ply with 2 coats of resin on the bottom and 2 coats on the top along with 10 oz mat.

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

the seat boxes roughed in and glued down..along with my home made live wells.:D

viewFile.html

I have to finish glassing those in, build the battery box. storage compartment, seat platform for the jump seats in the back, spray the new deck with rock guard then paint it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey bud....your boat is looking really good.

one thing........that boat is a bayliner of early vintage.......i highly suggest you re foam that boat......from the outboard stringers to the gunwhales....and add a layer of 1708 down the bilge.

the glass on the bayliners was really weak.

from where you are now....thats not hard to do....but the foam will cost you a few more dollars....and the 1708 wrap and the resin is only about 50 bux extra.

glad you stuck with this one....the boat looks great

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

How long did you let the PRESSURE TREATED ply dry out before glassing?

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey bud....your boat is looking really good.

one thing........that boat is a bayliner of early vintage.......i highly suggest you re foam that boat......from the outboard stringers to the gunwhales....and add a layer of 1708 down the bilge.

the glass on the bayliners was really weak.

from where you are now....thats not hard to do....but the foam will cost you a few more dollars....and the 1708 wrap and the resin is only about 50 bux extra.

glad you stuck with this one....the boat looks great
I added a bulkhead between the stringer and the starboard / port side of the hull where the foam was at the widest part (approx 4"). You lost me on the 1708 wrap!

How long did you let the PRESSURE TREATED ply dry out before glassing?

Well from the time I brought it home from the building supply store until I put the resin on it was approx 2 weeks..it was in the garage standing on it's edge. I have no idea how long it was at the building supply store though. It looked, felt dry and splintered quite easily.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another small update. I managed to get most of the storage compartment, seat bench roughed in. Still have to coat it with resin and some mat.

40aafed9.jpg

The new battery box. It's going to be snug getting it out but it's doable. I still have to sand the edge that meets the hull but I'm not going to be to fussy.
I have discovered that Bayliner wasn't to fussy about making straight lines straight or bulkheads the same size..so I stopped driving myself crazy trying to get everything to fit seamlessly..

39f139c7.jpg

I used the original battery tie down strap and made cut outs in the pine I used for the battery box to feed the strap through.

The real purpose of the storage compartments..

d082748a.jpg

They won't be ideal for a long cruise but for the river runs I do and fishing..I think they will work just fine.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

MDF plywood is NOT good to use for marine use. It delaminates and swells quite readily. I would strongly suggest that you use ext. grade plywood and not the MDF. It's your boat, but experience has taught the majority of us that this stuff is just not good for restoring boats.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

MDF plywood is NOT good to use for marine use. It delaminates and swells quite readily. I would strongly suggest that you use ext. grade plywood and not the MDF. It's your boat, but experience has taught the majority of us that this stuff is just not good for restoring boats.
Even if you coat it well with resin? It's not a huge deal if I shouldn't. I used it because I had it here...

JDA1975

Lieutenant

That actually looks like OSB (Oriented Strand Board) which is still very susceptible to absorbing water and splitting, It is made of wood chips glued and pressed, and I am pretty sure the glue they use isn't "marine quality." MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is also bad it soaks water and swells to twice its width easily.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That actually looks like OSB (Oriented Strand Board) which is still very susceptible to absorbing water and splitting, It is made of wood chips glued and pressed, and I am pretty sure the glue they use isn't "marine quality." MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is also bad it soaks water and swells to twice its width easily.
I've always heard it called particle board...but yes...that is how it's made. I plan on applying 2 good coats of poly resin over it and a layer of 10 oz mat on the top of the seat platform.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not saying it won't work but IF/WHEN water gets to it, it will swell and fall apart. An yes, my mistake, that is OSB. But with enough resin and mat, you can pretty much water proof toilet paper.:p

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not saying it won't work but IF/WHEN water gets to it, it will swell and fall apart. An yes, my mistake, that is OSB. But with enough resin and mat, you can pretty much water proof toilet paper.:p
rofl...they use it in house construction around here all the time. Wrap it in tyvec type wrap, add the vinyl siding and call it a day.
I figure resin and mat should keep it water proof. There will be rocker guard coating then paint on top of that as well.
It will last longer then the original plywood Bayliner barely covered with resin.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another small update. I'm down to painting and installing the back deck for the jump seats and that's it for the winter.
Next spring I have to install the new windshields and do something with the gel coat in a few spots, buff it out, polish it, wax it and hopefully sell it.

f9e2da54.jpg

It isn't perfect but for my first boat refit..I'm rather impressed with how it turned out so far.

4eb2a937.jpg

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got it painted and some little jobs done..then put it away for the winter....next spring I will finish it and hopefully sell it.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking good. I have an '88 capri bow rider and want to replace the floor. It has a few soft spots it it and was wondering how to go about it. Now that you have posted pics I know how to do it and I don't have to remove the top of the boat.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are correct. No need to split the hull unless you are going to do the transom..
good luck, I enjoyed tackling this..it will take a lot longer then you plan but most DIY jobs do.
Be sure to post pics.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just a small update. Brought the boat home from winter storage and ordered the vinyl for the panels on the sides of the interior. That is all going to the upholstery shop next week.
I have some cleaning up to do and drill the holes to mount the jump seats, install the windshields and wet sand the gel coat.
Finish installing the transducer for the sonar and try and figure out why the switch for the power trim quit working out of the blue.

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

getting closer...front panels installed. All that is left is the rear panels and wind shields..

9f17da87.jpg

86IROC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well..except for installing the transducer and some painting..she's done.

5ca8f1eb.jpg

c380e022.jpg

cb00c4e9.jpg

ff388a29.jpg

looks much better with the original style windshields installed.