Jon boat acessories?

Feltnerd

Cadet
Whats the best additions to a jon boat? Ive got a 13 footer and I want to know what the best and most practical accessories or additions might be out there.

ebry710

Ensign
Re: Jon boat acessories?

Whats the best additions to a jon boat? Ive got a 13 footer and I want to know what the best and most practical accessories or additions might be out there.

What are you going to use it for?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya they are different if your just gonna putz around on a lake or you are fishing.

The biggest problem is with a boat that small is weight, they are really sensitive to added weight.

The best way to figure this out is to go use the boat and when you go "Man, I wish I had...." then go get that.

Something I think is a necessity may seem silly to you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

swivel seats and a bow mount trolling motor.

CATransplant

Admiral

swivel seats and a bow mount trolling motor.

Yup. Agree. Also, if you get the cheaper seats, it doesn't cost all that much. I've been pretty happy with my green, unpadded, plastic seat in my boat. The trolling motor will set you back enough.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

You can buy pedistal mount fish finders, that all you have to do is screw down this rod into the boat, and it will mount to that. They are less than 200 bucks too. Just run a power wire and the transducer to it.

I had a jon boat, and it had wooden decks above the bench seats, and i put a trap door into the decks so i had a storage comparment.

Feltnerd

Cadet

The boat will be used for saltwater inshore fishing, as well as swamps and back water.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the method I use
Use the boat and you start thinking "I wish I had that!" Don't rush right out and get it though wait a couple of months see whats available
If after a couple of months you still want it go get it

You will want an anchor, paddle/oars, and a horn/loud whistle.

The only time you are done setting up a boat is when someone gives you money and they haul the boat away

jamie

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I'll break ranks here ( having owned well over 1/2 dozen jon boats in this size range) If it were me, I'd keep it simple and add only a 4-8 hp outboard, 30-40# electric (transom mount with 10' extended cables) ,(Humminbird with quick release) depth finder, battery (in box, set in bow) and a few velcro type rod saver straps. ( Ok, don't forget the oars and manditory safety gear too!) That will give you everything you need to fish from the driving position ( ssitting or standing) and still allow you to launch by yourself where there are no ramps.
IMHO, the joy of a small jon is it's weight and versatility. All of the above can be attached /taken off in the matter of a few minutes by yourself AND will still keep the boat light enough for hand carry/drag (two man/or 1 man and cart). You can start adding decks , pedistal seats bow mount motors but that just adds weight (read: need trailer) and reduces stability. IMHO trying to stuff in the accessories and amenities of a 19'x7' bass boat onto a 13'x4' jon rarely turns out well.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bass Pro shops sells a pretty cool livewell that is for Jon boats. It fits down in the boat and stretches from one side to the other. It has a built in livewell with recirculating pump, two lids to get to the livewell and storage on top of it. It is pretty neat looking.