Johnson evinrude drain plug washer

Bknboat16

Cadet
Anyone know where to get bottom end drain plug washers for older johnson evinrude in bulk ? Are they nylon or teflon ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nylon.------Gears are expensive and the nylon factory washer lasts a long time if tightened properly.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mercury has packs of 10 or so washers. For not much more than the price of just one
Some are Nylon, others can be other Materials

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

rolmops

Vice Admiral
You are supposed to replace them every time you change lower unit oil

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You are supposed to replace them every time you change lower unit oil
Just for grins and giggles I just looked up the Owner's Manuals for a few engines from the 1960's thru 2018. Not a single one says replacing the washer annually is a requirement. Maybe a good idea, but not a specification.

In my case I routinely run a 1955 Mercury and a 1964 Evinrude, both bought new, and both have the original washers. Neither one leaks a drop nor has any water intrusion.

In any event I do inventory washers and have replaced them if cracked or don't look too good.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Be aware that the current one may be jammed way up at the base of the drain hole. If so, carefully pry it out and replace it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Water-cooled Gears and Bearings are not an Advantage, and if not caught early, can get very pricy. Reusing the old Washers has all the signs of being Penny-wise, Dollar-foolish

airshot

Rear Admiral
I always inspect the washer, screw and the seat, if anything has any sign of damage, repair and a new washer/gasket is used. I do not moor my boat so I can do visual checks frequently for any sign of leaking, so I rarely change the washer unless there is an issue. With that said...if I were docking my boat and not able to do regular checks, then replacing the washer each time would be a wise move!!! Can honestly say in my 60 plus years of boating, never had a LU leak.