Johnson '89 15hp Tiller

GregK360

Recruit
Hi Experts!

I have an 89 Johnson and the tiller arm, however, it was setup for Drum (Cable/Pulley) steering and I want to reattach the tiller. Can someone post some pictures of the connection points for the throttle as well as the kill connections coming out of the arm?

Thanks in advance and let me know if more information is necessary.

Greg

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson '89 15hp Tiller

Don't forget to re-install the friction block inside the twist grip. It is usually removed for remote control. Without it the twist grip will snap back when you try to decelerate, kind of like the engine just died. You will look like a real amateur out there. It also means you will need to keep your hand on the tiller at all times and therefore would have no auto-pilot.

It took me a long time to figure out why my motor did this, so I thought I would mention it. I should add that mine was a 1976 model, so I am just assuming your design will be similar. I don't know about the '89s. Good luck.

GregK360

Recruit
Re: Johnson '89 15hp Tiller

Don't forget to re-install the friction block inside the twist grip...

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the tip as well, since I am a complete amateur I don't want to add to that!

That link is a great resource as well. Once I get this finished I will update the thread with the details.

Greg