Johnson 88 spl ignition testing

iceman1987

Cadet
Ok... So I've tried doing research and really dont find much.. How do I test trigger...charge coil...and stator? My motor has 2 cd4 sealed power packs..also if anyone has a wiring diagram would be great too..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
First thing I would do is charge the battery / load test the battery / take starter apart for inspection.----Why do you want to do this testing ?

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 88spl also

Easiest way to tell if you have major issue is use a cheap inline sparkplug checker and see if you have spark in all 4 cylinders while cranking

then report back

Grab a OEM service manual on the internet

Also look on some boat parts sites to get parts listings

iceman1987

Cadet
So its a brand new battery fully charged and brand new starter...so I'm not getting any spark

iceman1987

Cadet
So i have a service manual but its keeps reffering to using a neon tester and another tester that isnt around anymore

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
ebay 3 bux for a spark tester

Or just have your wife hold the plug wire metal cap while you crank!

flywheel should be spinning real fast with a new battery

be sure motor is upright and level

hopefully your ignition switch is good?

hopefully you have the kill lanyard inserted into the plus next to the ignition switch?

if all 4 cylinders zero spark might be a simple thing

I would offer 250 bux for that 88spl sight unseen ;-)

iceman1987

Cadet
I already have inline spark testers on all cylinders....i am trying to fix the problem....i am not new to working on motors...all basics have been covered just want to get wire colors correct and testing procedures to find the problem

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Iceman if you tell what you have already done and a little history of when and what was going on when problems started would help the guys on here are very knowledgeable and will help you solve this cdi electronics .com will give you a lot of trouble shooting help good luck and please keep us posted it may help someone else I would disconnect the yellow and black striped wire in the engine compartment then see if spark return s cdi will give you ohmic values for the parts u seek

iceman1987

Cadet
I obtained the boat in a non working condition..so i really do not have any history on it....other than changing starter battery...and doing a compression test on the motor....each cylinder was with 124psi up or down 1-2 psi...with is very good... I also have a lol bit of other information i really domt wanna say but here i go....if I remove the plugs I then get spark on all cylinders...but with plugs inserted there is no spark....also plugs not connected to wires still wire will not have spark...only if plugs are out of motor will I have spark...which makes me think charge coil or trigger....i have black and yellow wire cut on main red harness and on motor

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
my advice is go to cdi electronics.com for ohms value if you have ohmmeter meter and check the keyway in fly wheel

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the starter apart / inspect it !!-----It is NOT turning the flywheel fast enuff to generate spark.

iceman1987

Cadet
Take the starter apart / inspect it !!-----It is NOT turning the flywheel fast enuff to generate spark.

Its a brand new starter...and looking and hearing it being around outboards most my life doesnt sound weak or slow turning at all

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
also , hook all wiring up, spray a bunch of 50/1 mix in the carbs, and try to start

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup that flywheel should be spinning like a weedwhacker! Well almost !!

If you just installed a new starter should be spinning good. BTW Why a new starter?

if I remove the plugs I then get spark on all cylinders...but with plugs inserted there is no spark....also plugs not connected to wires still wire will not have spark...only if plugs are out of motor will I have spark...

Question "1 :if I remove the plugs I then get spark on all cylinders... How did you test/verify this spark? Are the plugs hanging on the wires?

Question#2 but with plugs inserted there is no spark .....How do you know there is zero spark with the plugs inserted?

Question #3 plugs not connected to wires still wire will not have spark. How did u check for spark on the dangling wires? Where did you ground the spark checker?

Are you using a spark checker or just eyeballing the spark plug gap? Sparker checkers hard to see in bright sun