Johnson 88 spl ignition testing

iceman1987

Cadet
Yup that flywheel should be spinning like a weedwhacker! Well almost !!

If you just installed a new starter should be spinning good. BTW Why a new starter?

if I remove the plugs I then get spark on all cylinders...but with plugs inserted there is no spark....also plugs not connected to wires still wire will not have spark...only if plugs are out of motor will I have spark...

Question "1 :if I remove the plugs I then get spark on all cylinders... How did you test/verify this spark? Are the plugs hanging on the wires?

Question#2 but with plugs inserted there is no spark .....How do you know there is zero spark with the plugs inserted?

Question #3 plugs not connected to wires still wire will not have spark. How did u check for spark on the dangling wires? Where did you ground the spark checker?

Are you using a spark checker or just eyeballing the spark plug gap? Sparker checkers hard to see in bright sun

Ok...with spark plugs inserted I am using a inline spark tester looking for spark....also i remove I wire and plug in another spark plug and ground to block and look for spark.

With spark plugs removed they are not hanging on the wires the wires are removed from the plugs and plugs removed from the holes....i then put 1 spark plug on the wire and touch to ground and look for spark and i have spark....i go to each plug and test each cylinder.

Ohh and reason for new starter is because I took the old one apart and the magnet was cracked

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes you are.-----Have you addressed the possibility of the flywheel not turning fast enough, yes , no or do not understand the concept ??

iceman1987

Cadet
Yes you are.-----Have you addressed the possibility of the flywheel not turning fast enough, yes , no or do not understand the concept ??

So...as far as I know...i can check rpm of a spinning motor with my multimeter I do it all the time working on harley....but it requires SPARK ...which I do not have...so what test can I do to get a solid number...and not just "guessing"

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry-----Read post # 12 ----read carefully.----Or bring it over as I know how to inspect / fix your starter.----Don't rush out and buy a new starter.----Inspect yours first !!

iceman1987

Cadet
Sorry-----Read post # 12 ----read carefully.----Or bring it over as I know how to inspect / fix your starter.----Don't rush out and buy a new starter.----Inspect yours first !!

Ok...so i have read...i do not have old starter...upon inspection of old starter the magnet was cracked.i have a brand new starter installed...so u are telling me to remove the new one and inspect it?? Also....how do I tell get a solid number that shows how fast my motor is turning

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry ---I missed the part about the new starter installed.----Hurry to a shop as I think it is an easy fix.

iceman1987

Cadet
Sorry ---I missed the part about the new starter installed.----Hurry to a shop as I think it is an easy fix.

U keep saying its an easy fixed...i work on harleys for a living so im very mech inclined....whats the fix at this point?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Follow the trouble shooting on ----cdielectronics----Very detailed instructions that must be followed.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
trouble shooting electronics can take many steps, CDI is great at breaking it all down,(verses a 1987 manual) a DVA Adapter will be needed unless you've got a very expensive volt meter, it helps inexpensive meters read peak voltages.
As for spraying gas into carbs, its just I've seen no mention of fuel, and not to question a Harley mechanic troubleshooting procedures , and by not means am I a outboard mechanic( back yard fixer), but are the plugs wet with gas when removed after trying to start,

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If you only have spark with plugs removed engine is not at cranking RPM 300 RPM minimum..
Possible causes:
1) bad starter...even new one can be bad
2) bad battery cable/s causing voltage drop to starter
3) bad terminal ends on battery cables
4) bad cable from solenoid to starter
5) battery not putting out correct cranking amp's
6) engine mechanical issues as in : damaged bearing, gearcase issues

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
....if I remove the plugs I then get spark on all cylinders...but with plugs inserted there is no spark.......only if plugs are out of motor will I have spark...

You need to measure that spark with an open air adjustable tester. You need about a half inch to know the ignition output is sufficient to start and run the motor.

Sandpaper all wire ends until they shine, starting with the battery cables and measure spark again (all plugs out). If improvement, replace plugs and try starting.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe you can " re-gap " the sensors on this motor !!------Not sure why you mentioned this for this model of motor.

thatone123

Banned
You have a spark "gremlin" not easy to dig out of his hole. For a good foxhound see Dagnar Marine on Utube. He has a good vid on troubleshooting such a problem with a DVA meter. Laid back Aussie who knows his stuff. My take is it is those CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition). Which seem to be spark problems on OMC's 75% of the time.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Does that controller have a safety lanyard? Is it connected? Have you tested the ignition switch itself? Safety switch? Cleaned all connections to shiny clean?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Apparently there is some spark.------But not when plugs are installed.

iceman1987

Cadet
I went to cdi electronics and printed off what i need to test...i dont get a day off until wensday and Thursday....as for safety laynard i have the black and yellow wire already "cut" so anything safety shouldnt hold me back....i havent tried gas yet until i get spark..i am also going to get a shorter set and new set of cables to test that aspect....but more to come on wensday