Johnson 4hp Lower Unit Removal

barryUS490

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
6
How do I remove the lower unit on my 1994 4HP Model #J4RERE Serial # B09025575 to replace the impeller? I have removed the 2 lower bolts but can't seem to find the trick to releasing the shift rod. It seperates about 1/2 inch and I don't see any linkage connector to release it.
 

Rick.

Captain
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Messages
3,740
Re: Johnson 4hp Lower Unit Removal

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=ded4b25589a92829e612adbc632a2e1f0

Have a look at this link and find your exact model number/year. Then look at the gear case diagram. Yours does not seem to have the same linkage connector as most. You could wait for someone more familiar to post a reply, get an OMC service manual or perhaps do a search on this forum. ( I know this has come up before) Best of luck. Rick.
 

barryUS490

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
6
Re: Johnson 4hp Lower Unit Removal

Rick, thanks for the fast feedback. I do have a Clymer Shop manual but it is useless. I went through all the diagrams in the link above and did not see any clue. You would think this would be easy.....

barry
 

barryUS490

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
6
Re: Johnson 4hp Lower Unit Removal

Thanks Rick....

The "Use a bigger hammer method" is a bit scary.......I don't think I want to end up with a pile of parts.....

I'll give it another try.

Barry
 

barryUS490

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
6
Re: Johnson 4hp Lower Unit Removal

Rick,

I was able to get the lower unit off. I can replace the impeller in the waterpump but not sure on how to get it back on and get the impeller key aligned and inplace on the shaft. Do I pull the shaft down from the head and work from the top of the shaft? The water pump will be up inside the spacer and I can't assemble it inside the spacer.

Any pointers are welcome....


Barry
 
Top