How much damage is too much damage?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
1983 Suzuki DT 50, 11 X 17 aluminum prop; +/- 1000-lb boat, no tach =? RPMs

I hit a submerge rock pile, slow speed pulling away from the ramp. I tore ~ ? inch off one blade, ~ ? inch off a second blade, and tore up the edge of the third blade.

Through the help of the forum I have located a new prop for this motor. While reading additional posts I have learned that RPMs & MPH are important in selecting a prop. I have been encouraged in reading that most props can be repaired.

Q: Would I be further ahead in checking to see if this prop can be repaired, installing a tach and then beginning the process of re-propping. Or save the repair monies and purchase a new prop from the Get-Go?

I placed the motor on the boat last spring, had it out about ? dozen times and was pleased with the way it ran, but again no tach so I am unsure if I am in the optimal range.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: How much damage is too much damage?

You need a spare. Do both, get the damaged one fixed (no problem) and then get a tach. Check your RPM at WOT, compare to manufacturer specs. Buy new prop as primary with any pitch change necessary to be within recommended WOT RPM. Relegate repaired prop to spare. Go boating and watch for obstacles . . . :)