Johnson 40hp VRO Float Switch

rnomava

Cadet
I have almost the same engine. My problem was the VRO float switch. The switch can ground out the power pac, just like the deadman switch. It appears to me that anything with a black/yellow wire is on the same ignition circuit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a float switch in a VRO pump ?-----There is a circuit that sounds an alarm for no oil flow.

rnomava

Cadet
Is there a float switch in a VRO pump ?-----There is a circuit that sounds an alarm for no oil flow.
I was working on a neighbors engine that I was not familiar with. My terminology might not be correct.

There is plunger at the bottom, near the oil pickup that moves about 2 inches. There is no spark when the plunger is in the bottom position (and it is obvious where the contacts are). Moving the plunger away from the bottom position, the engine starts and runs normally.

Page 451 of my Clymer (1973-1990 Evinrude/Johnson) illustrates ignition wiring with black-yellow wires connecting the key switch, emergency cutoff switch, and economixer pump assembly to the power packs.

I had done most of the things discussed in this thread with no success. The last thing I did was to remove the VRO from the tank, set it on its side and move the plunger from the "bottom" position.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # of the motor ?------Or post some pictures as it is confusing as to what you are working on.

rnomava

Cadet
Model # of the motor ?------Or post some pictures as it is confusing as to what you are working on.
1996 Johnson J40TLEUC
Note on the wiring diagram:
This is in the Oil Injection System chapter
The simplified diagram only shows partial ground system elements

Attachments

• DSC08187.JPG
    DSC08187.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 4

rnomava

Cadet
Minnesota. Regardless of my location, the engine behaves like the wiring diagram shows. The wiring diagram is for a generic Johnson/Evinrude.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your manual is for 73 t0 1990 models.-----The motor you are working on is a 1997 according to the model number.???-----Very puzzling what motor ( oil injection ) you actually have there.------Post some pictures I say.

rnomava

Cadet
Sorry. It's not my boat, it's a neighbors. It is in the water now. The only purpose of my posts was to alert other having no-spark problems that the VRO could be the problem. My out-of-date manual shows that the VRO can do the same thing to the Power Pack as the Emergency shut-off switch does. I don't find that puzzling.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I cannot think of a 1996 model 40 HP that uses the ECONOMIXER set-up.-----Note---- there is a VRO system.----An ECONOMIXER system.-----And ACCUMIX system.----Used on various models.