Johnson 25 throttle issue has me stumped (UPDATE 2....COIL-NO, POWER PACK-YES)

ricepilof

Cadet
Re: Johnson 25 throttle issue has me stumped (UPDATE 2....COIL-NO, POWER PACK-YE

Re: Johnson 25 throttle issue has me stumped (UPDATE 2....COIL-NO, POWER PACK-YE

So I tried doing the test today and right from the start, there was only one cylinder working and if I pulled the bottom spark plug wire out, the motor died and wouldn't start. The top spark plug wire after pulling it off, made no difference. I then swapped the coils and got the same result, which means its not the ignition coils. <br /><br />I went to the local boat shop and they told me after eliminating the power pack, spark plug wires, and ignition coils, its either the stator or sensor coil and most likely not the charge coil. He said that taking the flywheel off is a real pain and you need a puller. My service manual tells you how to test each one, but requires special test equipment that I'm not buying and only shops usually have like the special adapter that plugs into the end of the connection for the powerpack. Should I just buy a sensor coil and stator, their combined price is $75 and put them in together. In all honesty, I just want to drive to the middle of the lake and just dump my motor overboard!!!