Johnson 25 throttle issue has me stumped (UPDATE 2....COIL-NO, POWER PACK-YES)

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson 25 throttle issue has me stumped (UPDATE 2....COIL-NO, POWER PACK-YE

Re: Johnson 25 throttle issue has me stumped (UPDATE 2....COIL-NO, POWER PACK-YE

Anyone have thoughts on Sierra vs OMC powerpacks?

ricepilof

Cadet

hey, I have a johnson 25hp 1987, and I have the same problem as you. What site did you go to find the powerpack part. My local shop charges $85 for OMC. Any updates you have I would love to hear as I have been trying to figure out my problem since July.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THis site (iboats.com) has the sierra power pack for $50 for my motor. Your pack would be a few dollars more.<br /> Link to iboat power packs. <br /><br />ishpomarine.com sells the sierra pack along with the OMC pack. THe OMC pack is $15 extra. I had a really bad experience with ishopmarine.com so I chose to just buy the sierra part from iboats. I should get it by thursday and I'll install it friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

ricepilof

Cadet

Ok so I bought a power pack from this site and a new gas hose with primer bulb. Its coming in on Monday so I look forward to hearing your results and I will post mine as well. Good luck

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I installed my power pack this morning and tested the spark. IT WORKED! I was a happy camper. I took the boat out on the water and it ran great. The old beast cruised at 22mph which was actually faster than I expected. Ran it 16 miles for 1 hour and 20 minutes. After getting the boat back home we did a plug checked at they looked good. But what we did notice was that there was a slight milky looking fluid oozing out of the gearcase. See my thread on it at http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=28&t=036837 <br /><br />Overall I was very happy that we got the power pack fixed. It was a very easy thing to replace. But through my whole process as a new boat owner it's seemed to be 2 stepps forward and three steps back. This is getting frustrating.

fireman57

Captain

Glad that all is well. I still am a believer in checking the things that don't cost a dime first. Like spark, pumping the primer bulb, or trying the choke when it bogs out. Sorry you had the cost of a powerpack but pleased that you didn't try throwing money at different parts. Happy boating and don't stop posting.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. IT was good to hear that thing crank up on both cylinders for the first time. Starter with just a blip of the starter and idled perfectly. I was really happy with it's performance. Especially on a boat that is much heavier than it should be right now. Now if I can get this gearcase issue fixed I'll be able to relax. And do some fishing before it gets too cold.

ricepilof

Cadet

Glad to hear that it fixed your problem, which was very similar to mine, but with mine, it would be intermittant, sometimes it would work perfect and then start bogging around midspeed and up. Then sometimes one cylinder would stop working. So I hope it is the powerpack for me, I'll be sure to post my results next week, happy fishing & boating.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Rice. It definately took care of my problem and I'm just glad it did. <br /><br />Now if I only had this gearcase issue fixed........

lennie

Recruit

Hey! Any tricks to replacing the powerpack? How long does it take?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replacing a power pack takes about 5 minutes. There are no tricks. Connect the ground wire and both connectors and you are done.

ricepilof

Cadet

So today I installed the powerpack and took it out for a spin and did my usual routine, ran it at full speed for about 5 minutes then slowed down thru the no wake zone for about 3 minutes then fast for about 2 minutes then back thu no wake zone. After that I went fast again and within 30 seconds of top speed one cylinder just stopped working and I was only running on the other one so the motor slowed down considerably!!!! I just can't win with this motor, does this mean the powerpack wasn't the cure and what now??? So far I replaced the spark plugs, the spark plug wires, couple other minor things like the plunger for the primer and the gas hose from tank to motor. I thought for sure it was the powerpack. I did the ignition coil testing by swapping them and the problem remained the same in that cylinder. But whats weird is that the problem is intermittant and not all the time. Any help I would appreciate, I might have to make my own thread, this one is really long.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Darn! I was hoping that was going to fix your problem rice. I would say to double check all of your connections and double check your ground wires. I guess a bigger concern for you would be to test your charge coil, stator, and any other electrical components. Any other device that supplies power to your powerpack. There are some testing proceedures in the seloc manual for this. It wouldn't cost anything.

ricepilof

Cadet

Not sure what a stator is, and I assume the charge coil is under the flywheel? The seloc manual??? I have the repair manual for this motor, not in front of me at the moment, but the wire the powerpack connects not thru the plug, those wires will bring you under the flywheel kinda inside the engine, is that where abouts you're talking? And you don't think its a coil that just loses power at high speeds, but at the same time wouldn't make sense as one cylinder shuts off completely then after a couple days of sitting will work again!!! I'm getting close to bringing it somewhere, but they charge $75/hr for labor which is ridiculous.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately I don't know enough about these engines to give you sound advice. The charge coil is under the flywheel with the stator and it supplies high voltage power to the powerpack. Those wires come from under the timerplate I believe. <br /><br />Have you used an ohm meter to run tests on your coils? You can test for resistance throught the primary and secondary windings of the coils to help you diagnose wether they might be bad. You can also use an ohm meter to test for grounding issues on your timer base and charge coils. I've heard that a coil can seem ok when it is cool but can have issues once they get hot. When you swapped coils did you leave them swapped or did you put them back in their original position? Also, did your spark test show really good spark out of both coils? Like 7/16 inch? I think a failing coil will jump a small gap but will have problems with larger gaps.

ricepilof

Cadet

You might be onto something, as lately after all I've done to the motor it usually runs great at cold temps then after warming up to normal operating conditions it seems to faulter and either bog down at midrange speed and above or one cylinder stops working completely till motor cools off for a great while. I might purchase a new ignition coil, just for the hell of it. <br /><br />I haven't done any testing like compression or spark plug...I don't have any testing equipment for that, I was gonna go buy a compression tester today, but I really feel the compression should be just fine, otherwise the motor wouldn't run like it does. <br /><br />When I did swap coils, I left them like that for a good week and things were the same and then after swapping them back things went good for a week, I'm telling you this motor has a mind of its own.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would definately do a spark test. You don't have to buy an expensive spark testor. You can make your own by following the instructions that many people have already posted here on iboats. Or you can buy a new one from napa for $6. Determining the strength of your spark may be the first step toward fixing your problem. I wouldn't buy a coil until you know you need it. Otherwise it's fixing this problem could turn out to be much more expensive than it needs to be. <br /><br />Also see if you can borrow an ohm meter from a neigbor or friend. Those coil tests can tell you a lot about the state of your coils. <br /><br />Lastly, as I said in the previous post, double check your grounds from the coils. Also check the condition of your sparkplug wires. They could have cracks in them that are causing you problems.

ricepilof

Cadet

Spark plug wires are brand new, if was the ground for the coil, then in my opinion the coil wouldn't work intermittantly, or it would be more obvious that that would be the problem. Somethings going on with this motor after it warms up and the problem has repeated itself about 20 times. So if a the ignition coil after warming up and getting hot had a small crack in it, it would expand due to the heat and then create problems like I'm having correct? this is what a friend has told me. Therefore the test I'm going to do tommorow is to see if the boat runs good then take it for a ride, my usual ride, and get it to the point of where it either bogs down or a cylinder stops working, then I will do the ignition coil test of swapping them and seeing if the problem follows a certain coil. I'll post my info tommorow, thanks for the help in the meantime.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey rice, how do you intend on doing that test? Are you gonna pull a sparkplug wire at speed to see which cylinder is not firing? Thats teh only way I can think of doind it. If you feel you are running on one cylinder and pull a plug wire you'll be able to tell immediately which cylinder is not firing. If the engine dies you've pulled the plug from the live cylinder. If nothing happens you've found the bad one. Then swap the coils and try the same test again. See if the misfire moves. If so then almost certainly the coil is bad.

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

You can speed up the test for coil breaking down under heat.<br /><br />Let it idel on the muffs until engine is good and warmed up. 15 minutes or so. Then take the missus hair dryier and heat each coil and see if you can induce the failure.<br /><br />Good luck!