Johnson 2-Stroke 90HP Firing Issue

Aggiepilot846

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
3
I have a 90HP Johnson and recently the motor died and I was unable to restart. I hadn't changed the fuel filter/seperator out in 2 years (my fault) so I replaced it with a new one, in which, after 2 mintues of pumping fuel in using the bulb and 5 minutes of cranking, it started. But now the motor won't run at idle and seems to be misfiring. I replaced the spark plugs which didn't help the issue and now I've noticed gas and oil floating to the top of the water. My thinking is, the engine was firing fine before the fuel/separator issue. The only thing I did was change it out so why would it now be misfiring (if that is indeed the issue).

Please help,

James
 

BonairII

Commander
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
2,727
Re: Johnson 2-Stroke 90HP Firing Issue

Could be a bunch of things. have you checked spark with an adjustable spark tester? Oil and fuel in the water could be unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust. Which would indicate a cylinder(s) not firing properly.

Check your spark and compression...and post back the results.

Also post your year and model # of your motor.
 

Aggiepilot846

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
3
Re: Johnson 2-Stroke 90HP Firing Issue

After reading some similar threads I like to also mention that the motor had always had a slight issue running at idle until it warmed up quite a bit (I thought this was normal). But even between drift runs I'd often have to start, put in gear and throttle up quickly so it wouldn't die.

Any help would be appriciated.

James
 

Aggiepilot846

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
3
Re: Johnson 2-Stroke 90HP Firing Issue

2004 Johnson. I store my boat in Port Isabel, TX but live in Houston, so I'll have to check when I go down next weekend. Thanks for the advice.
 
Top