FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
My marine mechanic showed me where a piston ring went bad on my motor (deep gouges inside cylinder head) and he is going to quote me a price to replace the power head this week. Any idea what a fair price should be for this job? Thank you.
Would you do it again Taz? I mean after the expense were you satisfied and did it run reasonably well? I've got twin 1987 150's with little use but not well maintained. I'm torn between putting money into these, or maybe buying some rebuilds on this website that have a warrantee.
my engine had 300 hrs. on it at the time. my vro system got water in it hence the rebuild. I knew the motor and the care it was given. would I do it again ---no. by the time this needs to be done again replacement of boat is my next step. I knew the mechanic and the cost of him rebuilding it with a 3month warranty out weighed the cost of a total powerhead. hope this helps.
Thanks Taz. Your input helps a lot ! I didn't realize that you were still running the same motor. This boat was my dads and he used it very little..maybe 5- 10 hours per season. But he lives in a remote area with no outboard repair (i.e. poorly maintained). I think I'm gonna go for the rebuild and hope for the best. My mechanic is a 30 year OMC service dealer (2-man shop) and I have a lot of confidence in him (so far). Thanks again!
The dealer will probably just re-sleeve and re-piston the bad cylinder. Actually a common repair on outboards. If the entire powerhead needs to be replaced (actually a faster repair if one is on hand) just be sure to get a warrenty.<br /><br />Powerheads on the net (rebuilt) are running $1400 or so. As long as you have faith in the dealer.<br /><br />Cranston! Wow I spent a few weeks there in Feb 1978 plowing out all that darn snow....had a blast! We (US Army soldiers flown in) were treated great.<br /><br />Bob
Thanks Bob. I'll let you know this week what the dealer gives me for a quote to replace the powerhead as he suggested. <br />P.S. Thanks for plowing us out. Lotta snow in '78.