Johnson 1965 CD-22 upper crank seal

Saintnowhere

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I received a johnson cd-22 in a package deal, went through the entire outboard. rebuilt the lower end, tore the power head down , Sealed the block halves and all new gaskets. thermostat, carb rebuild, points condensers, plug wires plugs, removed the slop from the armature the whole 9 yards. It runs great with no issues
Except it leaks oil/fuel over time out of the top crank which i guess is ok as it keeps the armature lubricated lol. Anyway there is no seal in this motor, just a metal ring/washer at the top. and from the diagrams for this model/year it does not show anything else. Am i just stuck with the issue being the 1st year production of the 6hp and it was just engineering flaw?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It was the first year labelled as the 6 hp.------The engine design was not new at all.-------That is a slinger instead of a seal.-----Did a very good job of keeping oil aeay ftom the points.------Are you sure that the passage ways in the gaskets and block are clear ??------The oil that leaks past should be pulled back into the intake.----Have a number of these motors apart at the moment.-----Certainly noy an engineering flaw.-----These are excellent running motors.---These will outlast the plastic motors built today !

Saintnowhere

Seaman Apprentice
Passages where clear, I inspected and cleaned everything. I got to say this little motor is built like a tank, maybe just looser tolerances in the crank bushings from wear is allowing more than usual blowby, I mean it is 52 years old after all. either way its not a big issue as it does not get into the points. I have not run it much since the power head rebuild so maybe sealing the block halves might of helped as they where bubbling around the seams in spots. even if it will be a leaker, i will just clean it up every year before use when i adjust the points.I guess the little things like that just bother me lol.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The slinger was used on the 5.5 models from 54 to 64 and 6hp in 65 / 66 nothing wrong with the concept.